• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

berserk333 11 days ago

I'm very new to having an SSD, obviously from the question, and was wondering if the SSD is supposed to be the primary boot drive with Windows 10. I also have a 2TB barracuda, which I picked for my OS, since I thought I could put certain games in the SSD (Doom, Witcher 3 etc.) and have smaller games in the HDD, and everything else. Is that not how it works? I guess what I'm saying is, I don't understand having 2 drives in this way at all. I've used external HDDs, for extra storage, but never for gaming use.

Should I wipe the HDD and put the OS on the SSD? :/

EDIT: Thank you all for your answers, I'll definitely have to do some research. The SSD is 240gbs, so not even sure what I can fit on it yet, but I'll also have to find out how to download things on the HDD lol. Can I have a game file on the HDD and have its shortcut on the SSD??

Comments Sorted by:

xPat 3 Builds 3 points 11 days ago

if the SSD is supposed to be the primary boot drive with Windows 10.

Yes.

I don't think you need to wipe the hdd if you have other data you wanna keep on it but I would prolly unplug it while installing w10 on the ssd, and make sure the bios recognises the ssd as primary.

pcbldragain 2 points 10 days ago

Most people put the OS on the SSD and then if they have room they put current games/programs on it. They use hdd for data like old games they play less, photo/video, backing things up, etc. The SSD will boot much faster and load anything windows (your OS) faster. I put a sata SSD in an old PC with sata 2 (not sata 3) and it is FAR faster than the hdd was. When you boot or start a program it is way faster. And if you hit your swapfile in windows that is faster too.

I use clonezilla live usb to clone drives, sometimes you have to search up what utility to use to get it to boot. Windows usually gets mad when you have two of the same drive if you keep the old one, but you can change the ID and it works fine. Sometimes you have to change partition sizes but windows does that easy unless you have to shrink a lot. I'd recommend not changing partitions outside of windows, it got mad at me for that. Some of these were oem PCs so no disk and much easier to clone the whole drive. Other clone programs can work too.

berserk333 submitter 1 point 10 days ago

yes I too have read windows usually gets mad with dual booting and wouldn't even know what to do if something horrible happened lol

pcbldragain 1 point 10 days ago

When the drive is cloned and you boot from the new one, then hook the old one back up, windows sees two identical drives lol. It does not like, it turns one off. The answer was to use a windows utility and change the ID of the drive one digit then it was happy. At least on that win7 it was. That answer was in the forum for clonezilla, most problems you hit are in there.

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 1 point 10 days ago

Well you can do whatever configuration you want. That being said you do your your OS quite a bit, and running the OS off the SSD provides a pretty nice user experience. Having a SSD solely for loading games while your OS is on an HDD does kinda of reduce the value you're getting out of the SSD. Depending on the how much data you have on the HDD and how large the SSD is another option might be to clone the HDD to the SSD and then wipe it. A lot of SSD manufacturers provide cloning tools on their websites. It works pretty well and would get you where you want to go without having to redo literally everything.

JCMsergox 4 Builds 1 point 10 days ago

Should I wipe the HDD and put the OS on the SSD? :/

This would be the easiest process, but is also the most time consuming and inconvenient. This is what I do personally, however. Use a program like DBAN to wipe the HDD totally clean. Then remove it from your PC, connect your SSD, and reinstall windows.

eesti 1 point 10 days ago

The difference between having the os on a hard drive and using the SSD is night and day, games load quicker too