add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

(Once again) Fan power supply question

Trademonkey

8 months ago

So,

Using the search function here I found a few topics somewhat matching my issue.However, the links for the adapters people provided are not what I would need I believe. So here is the problem: I have a case which came with 4 pre-installed fans. 3 in the front and one in the back. They are all connected to a tiny control board. So the control board then has a 3 pin connector on it which becomes a male 4 pin connector (Molax I believe is the name) which is supposed to go in the PSU which seems nuts cuz my PSU is a 850w Unit and you would think it would blow that tiny controller to the Moon but whatever. Anyhow, my PSU doesn’t support Molax connector and neither does my motherboard. The only cable I have seen so far which might work is a 4pin to 8 pin PCIe cable but problem is the the Molax part was male too so that would obviously not work. Not sure what to do here. None of the cables which came with the case will work. Not a big fan of the conversion thing anyways. Maybe replace the entire cable? Any help would be appreciated!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W7W8L2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MYHQCbX77YR14

Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan

MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470 Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 Onboard Graphics SLI ATX Motherboard (X470 Gaming PRO Carbon)

Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case, Tempered Glass Panels, Up to 420mm GPU, 360mm Liquid-Cooling, 4 120mm Fans Pre-Installed

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

my PSU is a 850w Unit and you would think it would blow that tiny controller to the Moon but whatever.

Nope. The connected device draws what it needs. The PSU doesn't force your system to constantly utilize 850W.

That PSU definitely supports 4-pin molex, so if those don't fit, that's probably not what you need.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Simplest solution is connecting one of the five Molex connectors his PSU already has.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

ah ... i forgot to check

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube