• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

AdmiralSoup 12 days ago

I have EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze. I'm about to upgrade from GTX 1060 3GB to 1070. If I do so, according to PCPartPicker's list, my total system power draw would be 239 W. I heard that there is a rule of thumb, that you should find a PSU that provides twice as much W as your estimated system power draw. And that would be a bit over half in that case. Do I have to upgrade PSU or should I be fine with what I have?

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 2 points 12 days ago

You can keep it. No problem whatsoever.

The build will consume way less than 300 watts at a gaming seesion.

AdmiralSoup submitter 1 Build 1 point 12 days ago

That's great to hear. Thank you.

mark5916 2 points 12 days ago

I will give you an example of what kind of power consumption we are talking about.

The below system...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz
Board: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 2x 8 GB G.SKILL Flare X DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Storage: Crucial MX300 750 GB

does consume at a gaming session...~260 Watts! (the whole build)

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/images/power_gaming.png

And your system with a GTX 1070, will not go over that.

Thanks for going that extra mile and providing this explanation. I understand now. I was very helpful.

mark5916 1 point 12 days ago

You're welcome :)

Good luck with your build!

AceBalthazar 4 Builds 2 points 12 days ago

you'll be fine with what you have currently. the 50% rule is mainly due to that being where PSU's are their most efficient, it's not as if your PSU will fail if you make it draw over 50%

pcbldragain 0 points 12 days ago

It might work if you don't OC anything, but that is a lot for a 450. Maybe you could wait/watch for a great deal on one.

shreduhsoreus 5 Builds 1 point 12 days ago

Even with a power limit increase you're generally looking at 150-180W for the 1070. The rest of the system is a Ryzen 5 and the other basics(single SSD and 2 sticks of RAM). Even if they overclock everything and do a torture test of the entire system at once they're not going to be near 400W, let alone 450.

To the OP: drawing half of a PSU's max power is generally where you see peak efficiency, and we're talking a couple percent, nothing major. Also, I hope you have a better monitor than that 1600x900 display you have listed in your build because upgrading to a 1070 would be absolutely pointless with that monitor.

So you saying I should be good? If so, that's great news. And, yes. I agree with you on the monitor. I really like the one I have (it has awesome colors and brightness for a TN panel), but I'm definitely looking to upgrade it as well. I am hoping to find 1080p, 24", 75 MHZ, IPS or VA. First things first though.

I would honestly get the monitor first. With the one you have now you will see literally no difference from the 1060, the 1070 will just run quieter because it's getting less utilization when locking to 60FPS. A 3GB 1060 will do fine, especially temporarily, at 1080p if that's what you plan to go for with your next monitor.

I agree. However, me getting a new monitor is the matter of weeks maybe even days so I will have both upgraded at the same time basically. I have some pretty sweet deal for MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X for $220 that may not be there for long.

That's a pretty good buy. Yeah, if it was going to be a month or 2 or something I'd say to enjoy a new monitor first then upgrade.

Hmm. Damn. I actually have my R5 1600 OC at 3.7 GHz on B450 Gigabyte Aorus M, which is only mATX board. I'm gonna get used GTX 1070 for $220 tomorrow night, so I guess I would not plug it in until I find a deal also on PSU. BTW, do you think that something like that SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze would be still fine? It is not the newest unit. It was released to the market about 4 years ago. I'm gonna buy the brand new one of course, not used. This one is pretty cheap. At least it was 2 days ago. It did cost $35, now it's $55. Never lucky.

EDIT:

According to others, apparently I should be good with what I have. However, I will definitely stay true to this "rule of thumb" I mentioned for my future builds.

pcbldragain 1 point 12 days ago

I meant use it and get a larger one when you find a deal. It should work, I just assume a ton of people say its not a good idea to run near the limit or some psu are overrated for a reason. I ran a big radeon twin fan on a oem 350w with a athlon x2 for years and everyone said don't do it. Later put a pci powered gpu in it and its over 10yr old and still running, not good for much and my new build replacing it. Was it a good idea, not sure I'm not going to brag about pushing a psu, but the replacement 450 I never put in it is going to power my new build with a 2400g.