add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is a 550W Bronze good enough for a RX 580 and Ryzen 3 2200g ??

B_vndo

8 months ago

So this is my first time building a PC and I’ve done plenty of research but there was one thing I didn’t put too much thinking into and it was the psu. I ended up buying a 450W and found out it’s not the best way to go so I was wondering, is a Corsair 550W Bronze good enough to handle a Ryzen 3 2200g and a RX 580 8gb? Here’s the link to the PSU >>>> https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817139202?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker%2c+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

For a build with a RX 580 and a 2200G processor plus all the remaining components, even a 450 Watt PSU would suffice.

So if you have already purchased a Corsair CX450 PSU unit, just keep it.

Now if you want to replace it with a CX550 unit, no problem whatsoever. :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot! I just don’t want my first PC build to be a failure. But say that the psu wasn’t able to handle the two what would happen? I’ve heard people say things about it catching fire than there were others who said it just completely stops working and all you have to do is replace it.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you overload a good PSU, it just shuts off. When you remove the overload it starts working again. I'd expect this kind of good behavior from a Corsair CX/CXM unit.

It's pretty hard to overload a PSU, though. A 450 watt unit will even run (say) a 9900K with a Radeon VII, at least until you start ramping up the load. It's not like it would cut out as soon as you turn it on. (Of course to run a combo like that under any real load you'd want a more appropriate size, 650w maybe.)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

So would it be safe to just keep my Corsair 450W and use it?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep!

Example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $99.47 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $128.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $28.99 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card $179.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $642.11
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $582.11
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-07 22:39 EDT-0400

What's PCPP estimate power consumption of the build?

294 Watt. In reality it will be lower than that.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

As mark5916 says, yes entirely safe!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

A good PSU would work even if you overload it, perhaps for a couple of hours (how much it depends from the internals of the PSU unit and the overload protection), until it shuts off.

But there is no gain of using a PSU that way. So on that matter, you just buy a PSU with more wattage.

On a older PSU, it may blow up a fuse or it may even overheat the unit, and at worse it may even blow up.

Who knows. lol

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube