add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3x120mm or 2x140mm fans? Shoulg I worry about cooling my HDDs?

caiokn

5 months ago

Hi there

I'm planning a build using the Corsair Spec Omega case, which fits 3x120mm fans or 2x140mm fans on the front panel. I'll be using an I7 3770 on a basic H61 motherboard, 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM, a Gigabyte RX 570 and a couple of 3.5" 7200rpm HDDs.

I'm willing to go with the 2x140mm fans, but I won't be able to install them in a way that provides cool air to both my CPU/GPU and the HDDs. If I go with 3x120mm fans I'll be able to cool all of them at the cost of some silence, but should I really worry about the HDDs not receiving proper cooling?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

You dont really need to wory about cooling your hard drives. If the fans are RGB, 3 120s will look more RGB-ey. Just go with whats cheaper, the sound isnt really that loud. But I have NZXT Aer Fs so IDK

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

People don't really actively cool HDDs these days; their passive cooling is more than ample, now. Also, you should consider purchasing an SSD at some point for your OS; it will change your life.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I thought so due to case designs not having fans in front of the HDD cage. Hope my HDDs' passive cooling will be enough to keep them from overheating.

Thanks for the input on the SSD, actually I have one on my main rig I intend to use in this build if everything goes well :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube