add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Top mounted psu vs bottom mounted psu

Conradigan

8 months ago

I’m wondering what the pros and cons are for both configurations.

I’ve always used cases where psu are mounted on the bottom, but I’m looking at a mini itx case that mounts the psu at the top. I’ve never done that config before, so I want to know what it’s like.

I’m simply ignorant, but does the psu sag or is there a potential of it falling at all?

I know nothing about it!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

does the psu sag or is there a potential of it falling at all?

I've had some older top mounted cases and that's totally not an issue. If the case you like is top mount go for it :D

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't like top mount cases because a) there's usually no good upward exhaust and the PSU has to exhaust out the back or bottom, and b) it tends to make the unit a bit top heavy.

Neither reason is particularly important, much less a show stopper; they are more prejudices on my part than anything. If a case has everything you want aside from the PSU mount, and as long as your PSU doesn't require top exhaust (e.g. some fanless units), go for it.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

which case are you looking at?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late response!

I’m interested in the new Metallic Gear Neo Mini case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube