add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I run this?

Wingetcorbin

4 months ago

I'm currently building a ryzen system and I'm really getting antsy waiting for the power supply to come. It is an EVGA supernova g2 850w. It's my first build and I'm pretty excited to fire it up. I have a brand new in the box thermaltake smart 600w but I haven't heard the greatest things about and that's why I purchased the EVGA. Do you think I can use the thermaltake safely for a few days until the other unit comes in?

Edit: Ryzen 1700x Powercolor rx580

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, you can use it safely, especially since you've already ordered a new PSU that's better quality (EVGA G2 ... 850W is a bit overkill but that's fine).

Note that the Thermaltake Smart 600W is really a 500W PSU (e.g. 500W continuous power on 12V) ... but this is more than enough to handle RX580 and Ryzen 1700X build.

Just be careful when you swap PSUs since you'll be unplugging all the power cables and then plugging in all new power cables.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be fine unless you OC it to the max.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A normal RX 580 should consume less than 200 Watt whilst gaming. The below applies to an OCed RX 580 Nitro only.

https://img.purch.com/radeon-rx-580-review/o/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8wL0kvNjY4NzU0L29yaWdpbmFsLzAwLVdhdHRhZ2UtT3ZlcnZpZXcucG5n

The 1700X if overclocked may hit or exceed 200 Watt at worse.

https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/power-1.png

Add 50 Watt for the remaining parts. And that's it.

So a 550 Watt PSU would be more than enough.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube