• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Shadow2730 13 days ago

Alright so i understand I should explain what I do with my computer but I wont be doing this as all I want to know is quality So I have heard mixed reviews of the EVGA g3, Be quiet and Seasonic

Now I am planning on getting the EVGA G3 but have also seen some cool? powersupplies from SS and Be Quiet

What should my next PSU be

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 13 days ago

You have to be specific about which product lines. There is no PSU brand that is top grade all the way through all product lines, although Seasonic comes pretty close. (Their S12ii/M12ii are old group regulated designs, and the newer S12iii also appears to be group regulated in the lower wattage models.)

If you're looking for a top grade 650 watt supply other than the EVGA G3, Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, Prime; Corsair RMx; Bitfenix Whisper M are a few that leap to mind, and I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Rexper 1 point 12 days ago

the newer S12iii also appears to be group regulated in the lower wattage models

They're not. They use dual mag amp.

xPat 3 Builds 1 point 13 days ago

so i understand I should explain what I do with my computer but I wont be doing this

Haha.

Seasonic is my usual choice.

Shadow2730 submitter 1 point 13 days ago

Which model would you recommend? I'm either going to get 600w or 750w

xPat 3 Builds 1 point 13 days ago

It depends on your build tbh with you, most single gpu systems are totally fine with 550w (or less).

If you add ~200w to the site estimate on your saved build page you shouldn't have any problems.

edit. oh the new gold rated models, focus/plus, or prime if you're feeling spendy. Maybe the old gen g series if there's a screaming deal on it.

OrionFOTL 1 point 13 days ago

I can't really tell what you're asking of us.

So you know how every brand has models and there are different models so for example there is a EVGA G2 and G3? Well you see sea sonic has models to. So what model would you recommend that is equivalent or better than the G3 that I could get that is 600-750w

fellway 1 point 13 days ago

BitFenix Whisper M, SeaSonic Focus Plus, and Corsair RMx are the common competition. All are fantastic, mostly depends on prices for your market.

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 13 days ago

Well, each company always their issues with their psu but seasonic usually has a better track record.

Also the Evga g3 OPP and OTP (over power protection and over temperature protection) are set too high and will end up taking out the unit if you put it under extreme stress but the build quality itself is still amazing for the price.

As long you avoid Seasonic's s12ii and s12iii, you'll be golden with them.

So you mentioned evga OPP / OTP but when would I really have an issue with this? Also how is the OPP / OTP with Seasonic? what's wrong with the S12iii?

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 13 days ago

Well, if you have a power spike with the computer parts or if it's a really hot day today while gaming(or the case doesn't have too much or the bottom mount position doesn't have enough airflow for the psu , it may end up damaging itself from overheating. OPP isn't super important for most pcs but OTP is pretty important imo.

As for the s12ii, the design is nearly 11 years old, is group regulated (meaning the voltage control in the psu will be out of wack that's outside it's stated limits and may cause some stability issue), has a ****** fan on it and is missing even more protections (No OTP, OCP).

Evga g3 is a decent psu if you can get a good deal on it but when there's seasonic focus and corsair rmx for nearly the same price with better protections atm, then it's kinda pointless to get that evga unit. (Evga g2 has a working OPP protection iirc and thus makes it slightly better than the g3 due to the better protection despite the slightly worse performance and longer size of it.)

BaronMunchausen 2 Builds 1 point 13 days ago

I have stuck with Corsair for quite a while and never had any issues. BUT my build last month I decided to go with Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 with my Radeon VII and am quite happy with it (head many good reviews about Seasonic).

If you stick with at least the top brand names you really cannot go wrong.. just make sure it fits in case and what type of PSU you want (modular etc etc/RGB lighting yada yada/Bells/whistles).

iPhoneExtraviganza 1 point 12 days ago

Choosing parts by brand is dumb. No brand is perfect. A better question honestly would be "what psu should i get"

And vagabond is rly clever he has like 30k posts so read this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/296074-intel-or-amd-thoughts