add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap gpu for office PC

adrianortega94

4 months ago

Im building a pc for my mom with a couple of spare parts. So far i got a case, mobo, ram, psu and a ryzen 5 1400 cpu.

I need a REALLY CHEAP gpu for simple office work, no gaming, maybe youtube.

Any suggestion helps!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not a pro at this but can give it a bump. Both of these run on pci power alone.

I have a geforce GT730 in my old athlon 64 X2 PC, it would do older games from say 2K and handles youtube fine, a lot of tabs and it gets funny but this PC only has 4gb and 32bit. That one I needed a single slot to fit another pci card, it was supposed to be similar to the huge fans radeon r6670 I took out. A gt710 is little less $. I have a Core2quad sff with a radeon 6450 low profile that plays youtube hd full screen, never gamed on it but it plays FB type games easily while the integrated would not. That one I researched a lot to find ~$50 in low profile. I upgraded that sff to c2q/8gb/the 6450/SSD (only sata2) and it runs win7 quite well now massive difference, it had a pentium dual in it. In these cards the ddr5 is better than ddr3, 1gb minimum is better. Or you can look them up for benchmarks easy enough. You might gamble and ebay a used for one of these, or if you have a PC repair place nearby call them/etc. I bough them new the 6450 just over a year ago iirc <$50.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A GT710 is the usual go-to and it will do office and youtube just fine for $40 or so. May not have any of the fancy hardware decoding but it should play your j random youtube video. Plus you don't need any extra PCIe power and you can find fanless versions.

The next step up is probably the GT 1030 or AMD RX 550, both floating around $70-80-ish last I looked, they will have more hardware decoding options and snappier response times but not really needed if you just need to get a picture on the screen. I admit to not knowing much about the old AMD's like the 6450 that was mentioned.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube