add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage for OC R5-2600 and RTX 2060

sam-davies

4 months ago

Hi,

This is my recent build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TLzJr6

At the top it says the wattage is 269W. Is this the power in idle or under load?

If I overclock the CPU and GPU how much will the wattage increase by, and will the Corsair - CXM 450W PSU be enough?

Thank you,

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you click on the wattage when you are looking at your parts list it shows you a range for each part. I believe that the range is from idle to under load. It then shows the combined high end wattage as the total theoretical wattage. So it would be under load. The CXM 450 should be enough, since a light OC would put it right around 300 watts.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I assumed that the 269W would be the max wattage, aka the system under load. I just wasn't sure how much head room I would need for OC.

I used an online PSU calculator and it jumped to 600W when I ticked an option to OC the GPU and CPU, so I started to worry and made this post.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Typically sites that have an 'OC' option just have it as a check box and not as a slider or something so it jumped to 600W to protect you/ your parts and themselves in case they suggest a 450W and then you try to push a LN2 OC and blow something up. If you are doing a light OC then the 450W will be fine, but if you want to push a heavy OC then you will need something closer to the 600W.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure what you mean by an "LN2 OC", but I will probably only overclock the GPU and CPU lightly when I get a new 27" 1440p 144MHz monitor . At the moment I only have a 24" 1080p monitor that is limited to 60MHz and there is no point OC for higher FPS than the monitor can put out.

Edit; link to parts list now works.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

LN2 is liquid nitrogen. People use it to get super crazy OCs. It is super fun to watch so you should look it up. 450W with a light OC should be fine.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A 2600 CPU won't take much more than 100w, if that, no matter how hard you push it. I'm not sure about the peak draw of the 2060 but it's probably around 200w or so. Your parts list link doesn't work, but it's unlikely that the rest of the system would draw much more than 50w. That gives you a 100w margin, so yes, 450 watts should be fine.

Ryzen CPU's tend to be voltage / architecture limited rather than thermal limited, so they don't draw a whole lot more power than the TDP spec even when overclocked. Intel CPU's are very different, and for say an i9-9900K you might have to allow up to 200w depending on how you cool it and how you have the BIOS parameters set up.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, there was a typo in the link, it works now. Thank you for the info.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

At the top it says the wattage is 269W. Is this the power in idle or under load?

That's the estimated wattage if all the parts that are listed are working at 100% load.

In reality that rarely happens, so the real power consumption should be lower than that.

And according to the above, a 450 PSU is more than enough for that build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube