add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with an OS/Game Drive

B1GFOOT

4 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1

looking at that drive for my operating system and a few games. Is it pretty fast? or should I get a intel 660p? Or is there another drive you guys suggest? Ill have a 2tb HDD as my other drive for random stuff. Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The MX500 is pretty fast, close to the limits of SATA3. The 660p is dirt cheap, and it's a couple of times faster than any SATA drive because it's NVMe.

Neither drive is a bad choice. I've run both NVMe and SATA SSD's for my Windows drive and either is so much better than an HDD it just feels fast enough by comparison.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-660p-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m602553vsm418385

The 512 GB variant of the 660p, in theory, should be about 2x faster on average. This is not a terribly accurate comparison though because the 660p is an NVMe drive and since they are user submitted some could be running with NVMe and some could be running at SATA speeds. Overall you should see better performance with the 660p if what you are doing is benefited by it. For storing games and files both will be fine. For running games they should be about the same. For a scratch drive the 660p will be vastly superior. This does come with a higher price tag though.

The MX500 is a solid drive. I have one in my laptop. It is plenty speedy and you should be happy with it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 660p is QLC, which tends to become slower as it fills up.

Either get the MX500, or if you’ve got some larger games to store, get this HP unit

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7stQzy/hp-ex900-500mb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-2yy44aaabc

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

As I understand it, the QLC issue is that writes are slow, so drives using QLC need a write cache. When the write cache fills, or can't keep up, the drive slows down considerably. For most usages this shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't believe that QLC has a problem with being full per se, at least not more than any other SSD.

The 660p is tough to beat for value as long as you aren't going to hit its weak point, which is bulk writing. The MX500 is an excellent all-arounder. Either one is fine. (The HP-EX900 is a good drive too. These days, you have to go out of your way to find a really crap SSD outside of no-name cut-rate junk.)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If your mobo has an M2 slot, use it. That would be one less Sata Cable to route in your case.

The Intel is not expensive for what it is and slots very neatly on your motherboard, thus taking up no real estate in the case.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What if the PC doesn't have any new drive slots like M.2?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube