add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stupid Question Alert

jm1gic

4 months ago

I bought a 450W power supply and just bought the rx580 which requires a minimum of 550W... Am I SOL, do I need to replace the power supply.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What psu is it? Is it the Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W from your lists? Then don't worry its a decent psu and plenty for the 2400g and rx580 combo (if that is your configuration).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, the one on the list is the one that I have. ok great, thanks! yes, that is my combo. Why would the specs of the 580 say that it needs 550, if it didn't?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

they always list higher then needed because many people use crap psu's that are rated for example as 550W but in reality only give 450W max realistically (or less).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I will keep an eye on the PSU when I start upgrading stuff!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you add a RX 580 to your saved part list, you get a estimated Power consumption of 294 Watt.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $134.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $64.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $88.98 @ Newegg
Storage Inland - Professional 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $19.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.48 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 580 8 GB AREZ Dual OC Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case $55.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $119.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $794.26
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $744.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-01 16:17 EDT-0400

That's a peak gaming with a RX 580. (card only!)

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/RX_580_Mech_2/images/power_peak.png

Average gaming should be less than 200 Watts

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/RX_580_Mech_2/images/power_average.png

So, you have ~250 watts left for the remaining build. And that's a lot!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats awesome, thank you! Why do the specs for the 580 say to have a min of 550?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Because the manufacturer of that GPU (and that applies to any other GPU manufacturer as well) doesn't know what kind of components your computer will contain.

So for being sure, he suggest a decent sized PSU that would be able to power your computer safely. :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, and to answer your already answered non-stupid question: it should be fine.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

haha love it!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I always buy a PSU for the long haul and the power must also factor in upgradability of hardware - always buy more than you need. As it is though, 450W PSU is plenty for what you have, you are absolutely fine.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

great, thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube