add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel 660p worth it?

arcrisegenesis

7 months ago

I just saw on amazon that the 2TB version is basically half off and I could really use the extra storage. Main purpose is for gaming storage and maybe a few streaming recordings with editing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QGLBV6

That's the build I'm thinking about using it for. I keep hearing mixed things about the 660P and honestly, I just need longevity and SSD speeds. I'd get a regular SATA SSD but because of how thick the wires are with my PSU, I ended up removing two drive bays to make space. (Gonna rework the wires later today to see but I wanna have the M.2 storage as a backup plan if I can't make space.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

The only time the 660p has an issue is when you are transferring massive files from another equally fast SSD or array of Sata drives and you can overload its buffer capacity.

If you are transferring the data by download or from a single slower drive the difference is pretty meaningless because the download speed or Sata connection is going to be the limitation.

Realistically longevity of any SSD is going to depend on how full it is since you lose caching space and end up continually writing to the same spots on the drive increasing wear. If you look at TB written your talking completely filling the drive, erasing it and filling again Ten times.

Looking at the pricing right now you have ADATA's SU800 costing $5 more and its never been a stellar performer, or you have to pay $35 more to hit reasonable performance in the MX500/WD Blue but those are not any faster other then when you are trying to destroy the drive because their buffer is hidden behind a Sata connection.

Really makes the 660p the no brainer here.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Well that 2TB Evo 860 is a SATA drive in the m2 form factor, and it will perform identically to the 860 evo 2.5" SATA version. The Intel 660p is a NVMe drive, and while not the equal of a 970 evo, it is going to be quite a bit faster than any SATA drive.

I recently picked up 2x2TB 660p's because of the price, one for me to replace an older 850 evo 1TB 2.5 SATA, and the other for the wife's PC to simplify her multi-SSD situation.

Even if you could find some circumstances where the 660p was barely faster than an 860 evo, it's still significantly cheaper. So it seems like a no brainer to me. But the 660p is significantly faster than the Crucial MX500 and people like it as a cheaper, but performs nearly as well as the 850/860 evo's.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-660p-qlc-nvme,5719-2.html

https://www.pcgamesn.com/crucial-mx500-ssd-review-benchmark-performance

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-2TB-vs-Crucial-MX500-2TB/m430706vsm421719

So the 660p is going to be faster. As far as durability, I dunno people wring their hands over it. They seem to overestimate how much data they write to a SSD normally. So when you see something like the 2TB 660p (400 TBW) which seems to have a relatively low TBW compared to the 2TB 860 evo (1200 TBW) they get all antsy. But if you're only going to write 50TB over the life of the drive, it doesn't really matter if your hundreds of TB under the limit, or a thousand. If you know you're going to exceed 400 TBW in a couple of years and can prove that, sure, you really need something with crazy endurance. But I'm also going to say in every sort of SSD torture test I've ever seen, it's pretty common for SSDs to greatly exceed the TBW stated for warranty purposes. The 860 evo might be able to write several PB's of data in the real world and maybe the 660p can only write a couple of PB's in the real world. So the question is how many hundreds of TB's or how many PB's are you typically writing to your drives that this is something you really really need to fuss over?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm planning to use it mainly for gaming, should I just get the 2TB 660p? Cause I wanna save money and the 2TB 760p is around $410

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I would. Or rather i should say I already have. The 660p is a fine drive, faster than SATA drives, as cheap as midrange SATA drives. Unless you're stuck on having top end NVMe, or just believe that you're going to need to write hundreds of GB a day ever day for years at a time the, 660p should fit the bill for most users. It's a good price for the product.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say yes. It has the cheapest cost (per GB) of any M.2 SSD, and you get NVMe speeds. The closest performance in that price range (for a 2TB SSD) is the WD Blue, which is $35 more and only gives you SATA speeds.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Since the price has dropped well below competing quality SATA models it's a great value. I wouldn't pay more for a 660P than I would for say, an MX500, but when it's priced way less, easy to rationalize.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube