add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Monitor Options - Work and Occasional Gaming

sdwas

1 month ago

I need to purchase a new dual monitor setup. I work from home and the primary use will be work. However, I also will be playing games at times as well. I'm planning on getting either the RX-580 or GTX-1660 GPU for a new build I'm working on. I do not have my heart set on either one, but the GTX-1660 seems like the best balance of price, performance and power usage.

Here are my monitor requirements. I'm trying to stick to an IPS display as I'm assuming it will be a better option for work than a TN panel.

Here are my requirements: 22 - 25" / Vesa mount / IPS? / 1920 x 1080 display

Nice to have: Thin bezels (especially on the sides) / Speakers / Display port - Assuming this would be needed if I get an Nvidia card and the monitor supports Freesynch

Will I be disappointed if I get a non-gaming monitor with a 60hz refresh rate and 5ms response time? I've found a couple of monitors that almost fit the bill. However, they have AMD Freesynch but do not have a display port input. I'm assuming I would not get much benefit if using the GTX-1660.

Acer Nitro VG240Y

LG 24MK600M-B

I could also go with a standard IPS monitor such as the Dell U2417H

Any suggestions/input/comments/name-calling are all appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

IPS may or may not be a better option for work depending on what it is. If you're doing anything that requires good color accuracy and wider viewing angles, yes IPS is the best choice. If you're doing say software development then I don't see that IPS gets you anything at all, other than maybe a higher price tag.

If you go with the 1660 and 60 Hz monitors you may not really need adaptive sync (Freesync etc), as the 1660 ought to be able to deliver 60fps reliably if the CPU is up to it. If you do go with adaptive sync, make sure it's VESA adaptive sync, meaning Freesync over DisplayPort and not HDMI. (Or Gsync, of course, but that's $$$.)

I do software development and worked on a 1920x1200 24 inch display for a long time. (Basically 1080p but in a 16:10 format rather than 16:9.) I'm now using a VA panel 32 inch 2560x1440p (BenQ) and it's great to have the extra screen space. I think I'd personally prefer that over a pair of monitors, but that's a very individual taste thing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm definitely aware of the DisplayPort qualification for freesynch/Nvidia. Which makes the options so slim. Especially once you add in my Vesa mount requirement.

I thought about going with a larger monitor instead of two smaller ones but I do not believe it would be ideal for my situation. I was under the impression that IPS had clearer text as well when compared to a TN panel which is one of my main considerations.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I didn't do this myself, but your best bet for maximum text clarity is to get a 4K monitor and run it in HiDPI mode, basically scaled to 1080p. Mac's have been doing this trick for a while, and I have to say that the text on a retina MacBook Pro is luscious; but it's one thing to do it in the Apple ecosystem, and quite possibly another to make it work in Windows or Linux, where some programs might understand about HiDPI and some may not.

Aside from resolution tricks, your best bet for text clarity is to be careful about the anti-glare coating and panel quality. Anti-glare needs to be just right, not too much and not enough. My sense is that monitor makers are getting better about it, Dell (as just one example) used to slather the stuff on but not any more.

Added: by the way, one of the better sources of information and monitor reviews is tftcentral.co.uk

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice. I was always under the impression that downscaling a 4k or 2k monitor to 1080p would result in a worse viewing experience than just getting a native 1080p monitor (everything else being equal). I will have to look into HiDPI mode.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's going to depend on how the scaling is done, I think. I don't know all that much about HiDPI because my experience with it is entirely on Apple hardware, where it all basically just works. I've occasionally toyed with the idea of setting it up on my main linux box (the one with the large BenQ), but that would require that I get a 4K monitor and spend time trying to make it work. That box pays the mortgage and 1440p does just fine for what I do, mostly text stuff.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

no IPS only gives better viewing angles and colors, not clearer text

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would get an MSI mag24c which is a VA panel which is a nice midpoint between a TN and an IPS. VA panels have nice color qualities and great viewing angles like a IPS, but refresh rates and response times like a TN. The mag24c is about USD $230, 24inch, 1080p 144hz, VESA mount, and has freesync and is gsync compatible, so you would be able to use freesync or gsync depending on which card you get. I would get a gtx 1660 because you would get better framerates and faster vram. Here is link to the monitor. You would not be dissapointed with a 60hz and a 5ms response time because response times are ovverates and only noticiable if you are a pro player. A 60hz refresh rate looks nice until you see a 144hz monitor for the first time, then it is impossible to go back to a normal 60hz refresh rate because 144Hz looks so good.

Msi MAG24C for 230 https://www.amazon.com/MSI-FreeSync-Non-Glare-Optix-MAG24C/dp/B07794JYLJ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475006&Description=wmsi%20mag24c&cm_re=wmsi_mag24c-_-24-475-006-_-Product

Cheaper but TN and thicc bezels https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XFA240-bmjdpr-Response-Technology/dp/B06ZYHZ6R6

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the response Nicholas. The VA MSI monitors looks nice, but I do not believe I would like a curved screen for a dual monitor setup.

I think I'm going to avoid the TN monitors since the primary use will be fore work. From my understanding, IPS is definitely the better option in that regard. I'm also a casual gamer so anything is going to be an upgrade from my current setup from my perspective.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I have it narrowed down to these at the moment:

BenQ GW2480

Acer Professional Series B247Y

LG 24MK600M

The BenQ is the least expensive and is only 60hz, but can be overclocked to 75hz. The Acer is probably the one I'm going to end up with. 75hz, display port, no Freesynch but does have adaptive synch. The LG would be perfect except it is missing the display port, so Freesynch will not work if I end up with a Nvidia card.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would go with the BenQ one it is nice for the price, the others are overpriced.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i mean if your not doing alot of gaming then ISP would probably be better because you don't need the frames, and it has better colors

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube