• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

BriLila 22 days ago

I got a compatibility check:

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled. The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

I just want to make sure that I am clear on this or if I need to find a new motherboard, or just get rid of the m.2 drive. My part list is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nvHbMZ

Comments Sorted by:

Billy-Bob_Kenobi 1 point 22 days ago

For the Aorus Master, you have three m.2 slots, and six SATA ports on the board you can also use. From top to bottom:

• M2M is the slot above the first PCIe x16 slot (the one with the "Z390 Aorus Master" text on it.) Installing an m.2 drive in this slot, regardless of type, disables SATA ports 4 and 5.

• M2A is the slot in the middle of the board, immediately above the second PCIe x16 slot. Installing a SATA SSD in this slot will disable SATA port 1. Note that if you use an NVMe SSD in this slot, you can still use that SATA port.

• M2P is the bottom slot immediately above the bottom PCIe x4 slot. It is a PCIe-only slot that shares bandwidth with the PCIe x4 slot, and is limited to a maximum rate of PCIe 3.0 x2.

So in the worst case, you'd still have three SATA ports (0, 2, and 3) available for your hard drives.

BriLila submitter 1 point 22 days ago

Ok thanks. Since i'm only using 2 drives, i dont need all 6 of the sata ports. Thanks for the help!