add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a new PSU

BrokeChemGrad

4 months ago

I have a 2080 running moderately overclocked, a i5-8600k @ 4.7Ghz, 2x8Gb ddr4 3600, gaming mouse, gaming keyboard, headset, four (4) hard drives: 1 NVME,2 SSD, 1 HDD.

I have a 1070 i want to use for stream encoding with OBS. Am running a 650 G3 evga psu but suspect i will need 'more power' with the addition of the 1070.

So, what are a few good options (more fact than opinion please) in the 1kw range?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

NVENC encoding uses a separate piece of silicon on the GPU. Adding a second card, unless something has changed in the last few months I'm not aware of, can actually degrade your performance through multiple small factors: running in x8/x8 instead of x16, the additional latency by moving the data to the second GPU, and I'm pretty sure Nvidia had made efforts to improve the NVENC encoder on the RTX series cards so you would be using an older, worse version.

You don't need a kilowatt PSU to power that rig, even with the 1070 added. You could use your current PSU if you can get by with the limited power connectors... or you could upgrade to an RMx, Focus Plus, G2, G3, or similar with enough connectors, such as this unit which also happens to be at a very good price right now.

Edit: Have you tried NVENC encoding using your 2080? What was the result? I've heard OBS can be a bit finicky and some people have to tweak settings or limit framerates in games to ensure a quality stream.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 650W should work if you have enough cables. Otherwise 750W/850W would be enough really.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube