add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Psu's vga and cpu cables are not keyed the same as the gpu and cpu sockets.

Seath-Lorkencrain

4 months ago

I got a new EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ Gold 650W psu and its vga and cpu power cables are keyed differently from my gpu (rtx 2060) and cpu motherboard (msi b450). They seem to go in smoothly and securely, its just the plastic parts around the pins are shaped differently on both ends. If i try power this on will it work properly or simply and harmlessly not give power to the cpu and gpu, or could it destroy components?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

First off, it's almost impossible to fit an EPS CPU 8 pin power cable into a 8 pin GPU PCIe power connector and vice versa.

Secondly on that PSU you mentioned, the EPS connector comes with an 4+4 pin configuration (that should never be connected to an 8 pin GPU Power PCIe connector) and the GPU power connector comes with an 6+2 pin configuration.

The later goes to the GPU.

So if you split these cables to an 4+4 and 6+2 configuration (by examining them), the first one goes to the CPU and the second one into the GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube