add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2 x m.2-2280 vs 1 x m.2-2280 and 1 x 2.5"

bbjlfvr

4 months ago

Is it better to buy 2 x Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD vs 1 x Intel Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD and 1 x Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A question ... what work will you be using these SSDs for? gaming? streaming? video editing? video rendering?

Cost: Right now, 2x 660P's cost less than a 660p plus a crucial MX500 2.5". From a cost perspective, makes more sense to buy 2x 660P's.

Performance: 660P NVMe SSDs perform faster (1800Bps read/1800MBps write [to SLC cache]) than Crucial MX500 SATA SSD (560MBps read/510MBps write). It will depend upon your workload whether or not you would notice the performance difference day-to-day or in aggregate if you happen have a heavy storage workload over time.

Endurance: MX500 endurance (360TBW; 5 year warranty) is better than 660P endurance (200TBW; 5 year warranty). That said, 200TBW would equate to writing 100+GB per day every day for 5 years straight. So the endurance calculus depends upon how heavy of a write workload you will have. Of note: the QLC NAND that is used in the 660P is much newer technology that doesn't yet have a track record of performance/reliability to draw from (b/c it's still so new).

Note: the MX500 SATA SSD comes in M.2 SATA form factor as well and for the same price ... so if you're mobo support M.2 SATA, then you could get the same MX500 performance and save yourself some cables.

In general (without knowing more about your particular use-case for this machine), I would recommend the 2x 660P's.

One last question ... just curious as to why/reasoning for getting 2x 1TB SSDs as opposed to 1x bigger 2TB SSD?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You are absolutely right. I have a gaming rig and this one is more likely to be workstation with mostly photo/video editing, rendering and streaming as well as data spreadsheets etc.

What do u mean by save cables by going with MX500 SATA SSD comes in M.2? The Intel - 660p Series 1 TB is also M.2-2280 - is there any difference? Pardon if I dont know really know all these.

Intel and Crucial are both M.2 2280 right? Therefore I chose the cheaper one.

1 TB SSD is for OS and other 1 TB SSD is for running games, programs etc. I have planned another 3 TB HDD for storage.

Please advice if i can make some improvements :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

He's saying m2 is a form factor, and you can get m2 NVMe drives like the Intel 660p or Samsung 970 evo, or m2 SATA drives like the Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo (they come in standard 2.5" SATA or m2 form factors). The m2 versions of the MX500/860evo function identically to the 2.5inch SATA performance-wise, but don't require cables which can be nicer.

But given the price of the Intel 660p it's pretty attractive compared to the m2 SATA drives seeing as that it costs a pittance more and is 3x faster.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless the second M2 slot is SATA thus forcing NVMe to run at lower bandwidth (500ish vs 1800ish). OP did not indicate Mobo so impossible to tell though. Most of these dual slot mobos (one m2 at the top, one underneath) will not run NVMe's at full speed on 2nd slot.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You are right that both come in M.2 form factor ... the Intel 660P is an M.2 NVME SSD. That said, in your original post, you listed the "1 x Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive" which is the 2.5" version of the MX500 ... thus my question to clarify. Yes, the Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD is M.2 2280.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well over all I'd say the 2x 660p's are "better", but in a lot of ways it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I mean I might even argue to just buy a 2TB 660p, and if you need/want more storage later you can add a second m2 or SATA drive.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a little oopsie last summer that required reformatting my boot drive. Getting the OS and associated apps restored was easy; downloading the ~500GB worth of games that were also on the drive was painful. There's something to say for having a dedicated system drive and separating out the games library, media, etc.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you can accomplish the same thing with partitions. You don't absolutely need two physical drives. There's pros and cons to the solution. Obviously with two drives, one could fail and the other will (could) still be good. But with partitions if you want to do a 500/1500GB split on a 2TB drive you can, or 250/1750 or whatever which gives you a bit more flexibility than two single 1TB drives.

It's just a matter of how concerned you are over drive failure and/or how much you might want the flexibility of partitions. Doing 2x1TB isn't wrong or anything, but it's not the only option for what you're describing is all.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You need to be careful and double check, perhaps triple check, your motherboard specs. If you have two mobo slots for these M2 drives, one may be Sata only. Installing an NVMe drive in a Sata slot would cause the NVMe to run at Sata read/write speeds. If the NVMe is cheaper than the SATA III drive you want to install, then find an even cheaper SATA III drive.

or take this advise...

One 660p Intel at 2TB is cheaper than two 660p Intel's at 1TB each (or at least no more expensive). Leave other slot free, no rule says you have to populate all your free slots on a motherboard. Also not using the Sata M2 slot frees up Sata Slot 0 on your motherboad. Win Win. I am assuming you are not considering RAID.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

In theory the MX500 will be better if you do a lot of large burst writes. The 660p QLC nand is inherently slow, so the drive depends on some cache to absorb writes, and once you flood that cache it slows down. The MX500's flash is somewhat faster.

Now, whether you'll see any difference in practice is very hard to say. Again, in theory, the 660p being an NVMe drive will beat the MX500 doing reads.

I'll advocate the 660p plus MX500 combo. That way you can come back in a few months and tell us if you can see a difference. :-)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

how do i monitor the speeds (read/write) on these ssds? Any program that does that? :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

There are benchmarking programs, but I’m not aware of any that tell you real world speeds.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing to consider is that most motherboards have 24 pcie lanes, your video card will take up 16 of those, the south bridge another 4 lanes. That leaves 4 lanes for an NVME drive. If you install 2 NVME drives, it will share the 4 lane bandwidth, effectively creating a bottleneck and slowing the overall speed of the drive down. Your best bet is to get 1 M.2 NVME drive and one additional 2.5" SSD to maximize your disk drive speeds.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Sounds fair. Still not sure what or how NVME and 2.5" looks like on motherboard, lol.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

2.5 is the little laptop drive size box you mount in case, nvme or sata m.2 is a card that goes into the mobo there are no cables. Its similar to a memory stick size unless it has a heat sink on it some do, and the end plugs in roughly size/similar of a pci x1 card contacts, no cables.

I think if you had the budget I'd say do the 2tb nvme and back up on the hdd, but you may not want to do that. The nvme slot one will be the fastest. Most of the slot 2 go to the mobo chipset, or what they used to call the south bridge I believe. On the other hand like said ssd sata or sata m.2 are not slow really so unless you have jumbo files it wont be much different and still lightning fast compared to a hdd.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube