add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Hard drive to SSD

Xorrh

4 months ago

I wanna swap storage of windows and some games. So I need an app for doing so, or can I do it manually?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most SSDs come with software that allows you to clone a HDD. For example, the Samsung Data Migration Tool (downloadable online) can clone HDDs onto Samsung SSDs ... and it's pretty darn good. Several other SSD manufactures use Acronis True Image.

What SSD do you have?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I had to return mine, missing brackets to put the Samsung 860 In. Plus missing the SATA cable. Gotta get the M2. But all I was gonna do is put the OS on it for now

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Well there's no moving parts in the SSD, so you don't really need to mount it except for neatness sake. I had a couple of SSD's just sitting in my case, some people use double sided tape to stick them to the side of their case or something.

And SATA cables are pretty cheap...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks. i thought about jus setting it on the floor of the case. will probably do that since it doesnt need to sit elevated

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

velcro works pretty good too

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The easiest way is to physically install it, connect the right cables, and reinstall Windows from scratch. But when you don’t want to deal with setting up Windows and wants to get all of your critical data, files and folders on a new hard drive then it might be a tough task.

I will suggest you to check out this blog by Stellar Data Recovery, this blog explains all the methods of moving Windows from hard drive to SSD.- https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-migrate-windows-10-from-old-hdd-to-ssd/

Hope this will help.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I used clonezilla to clone a hdd to a sata ssd. You have to shrink (if applicable) your partitions to smaller than the new ssd for clonezilla. So you may have to get rid of swap files and extra stuff. You can force it clone to a smaller drive but not recommended. You make a bootable usb and clone old to new, make sure you know what drive is what. I assume this would work on m.2 as well but this was on sata drives. After done you may have to do something with the boot section maybe not, to get it to boot, or change the disk number but I did that as I kept the old drive in there with copied ID. Once in windows you can enlarge partition to whole drive, don't do it while cloning that can anger windows. Then you have same system running on new drive. Clonezilla does work similar to other clone software that comes with some drives. Oddly I had to use an older clonezilla for amd to get it to work on a core2duo for some reason but it did have a radeon in it.

Needless to say you should back up before doing a clone, however unless you screw up the old drive should not be written to at all and remain untouched.

If you just want to move storage stuff like documents and other user folders, in win10 you can and tell windows where you want them. Games you may have to re install in the new location.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube