add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Air Cooling: Please Help

n7girl

8 months ago

Alright guys, so I am in the middle of building my first computer. I have just over half of the components, and two I've decided on but haven't purchased yet. The last thing I need to pick and purchase are case fans. My brain is full now and I just can't wrap my head around what the best combination for my pc is. So here's what you need to know.

I have the Fractal Design Focus G Case which comes with two Fractal Design Silent Series with White LED fans in the front which (as far as I can tell) can NOT be moved because they don't have the correct mounting screws to put anywhere else. The screws mount to the specific setup in the front of the case (please correct me if I am wrong). My original plan was to move them to the top as exhaust, and put new fans in the front (maybe something with RGB for some color in my build) -- but now if I want that I think I'll have to replace all the fans. The other option is to just purchase the same fans separately for exhaust and hope that they come with the right hardware. Because I am kind of matchy matchy and certain combinations will annoy me.

Next concern. There are three(?) 4 pin connectors for fans on my motherboard (the ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC.) So am I going to need a splitter? Do I connect to the PSU? Or do I get a fan controller? I'm assuming I won't want directly to the PSU because I don't want them to run at 100% all the time. I just don't know which option will work best for what I want. Then if I do get RGB fans.. what else do I need to consider. What connections do I need.. will I be able to control them the way I want.

So yeah. Overwhelmed with fan nonsense. I don't know why this is the hardest part for me xD but any help would be appreciated.

I am also trying to keep it to $100 CAD for the entire fan solution - whatever it may be.

Thanks in advance! Links below. Let me know if you need any more information.

Case: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/YhzZxr/fractal-design-focus-g-white-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-wt-w

Fans: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/DqbwrH/fractal-design-fd-fan-ssll-120-wt-418-cfm-120mm-fan-fd-fan-ssll-120-wt

Motherboard: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/nQc48d/asrock-x470-master-sliac-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-master-sliac

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

a splitter literally is just a 4 pin connector that extends out to 2 4 pin connectors, the fans will will run at the same speed (at least that's what i believe it will be, PSU cable splitters are different)

i mean depending on what you have on your PC i'm told that 2 fans in the front and one in the back is the best, (more gives diminishing cooling improvements)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I can definitely do one fan out the back as exhaust instead. I was mostly leaning to the other configuration however. So I guess I am just making things more difficult for myself lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not just cooling performance, which may be changed when having one exhaust compared to two, but it also has a lot to do with air pressures inside the case. When you have more intake fans than you do exhaust (in the case of 2 intake, 1 exhaust), you will have a positive air pressure, which means there is more air going in then going out. This is what is usually wanted by most enthusiasts, as this pushes most dust out of the case, and some extra heat with it. In the case of what you want to do(2 intake, 2 exhaust), in a perfect world, you would have neutral air pressure, which would mean you would have as much air going in as you do going out. Now, there are fluctuations in fan performance, among other things, that this is not usually what happens. You could do that, but the best solution for most builds is to have a positive air pressure in your case.

Now, for your fan header problem, you could just get a splitter, but depending on the motherboard, it may not be able to, or allow, more than one fan per header. Not likely, but possible. Your safest choice is to probably get a fan hub. Those are usually powered separately by Sata or something similar, and connect into a fan header like a splitter.
(Please correct me if I am not understanding your problem fully)

Do you have the case to know about the screws, or are you guessing about them being different?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your response!

I've definitely thought about the pressure inside the case. Is it possible to have the intakes running at a higher RPM than the exhaust? Or is the general opinion to have less exhaust than intake?

I've read through the motherboard manual a few times and it does not say whether it will support two fans on one connection. It does, however, say the USBs can support up to two on one. So I am not sure.

I do have the case already. It was when I physically tried to move the fans that I realized my problem. lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

less exhaust then intake, or else temperatures will actually be hotter then normal, your motherboard should be able to handle 2 fans on one connector, it just increases the amps which causes more heat (but probly nothing noticeable) but then again you motherboard might not support higher amps on the connector

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have the case to know about the screws, or are you guessing about them being different?

The Define R5 uses the same sort of setup: if you imagine the case from the front, the screws thread all the way through the fan frame into the mount behind it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the Fractal Design Focus G Case which comes with two Fractal Design Silent Series with White LED fans in the front which (as far as I can tell) can NOT be moved because they don't have the correct mounting screws to put anywhere else. The screws mount to the specific setup in the front of the case (please correct me if I am wrong).

I don't have the exact same case, but it looks like it's the same basic setup as my Define R5, and yes, those screws are specific to the front mounting points. If you decide to stick with the Silent Series LL fans, the ones Fractal sells individually do come with a set of standard mounting screws. Most alternatives should as well (probably best to check the description before ordering, just to verify.)

Keelah se'lai.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Glad to confirm that it wasn't just me lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it possible to just purchase replacement mounting screws for the Fractal Design fans?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The fans themselves are a standard mounting pattern, so all you'd need would be something like this.

(You can probably find a more reasonable quantity, that's just an example.)

The only oddballs are those two front mounts.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright great. I'm feeling a lot better about it now xD Plus I just learned that I can use the CPU Fan 2 spot for another case fan if I wanted which simplifies things even more.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Most things I have read say 1A for a mobo fan header, so unless you use high speed fans you should be able to use a splitter and run 2 maybe 3 slow fans. Though I'd try to find out about your mobo specifically of course.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube