add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Yalderas

8 months ago

This will be my first build. I know very little about building PC's so any opinions are welcome. This is a mesh of a couple of builds that were recommended to me. My primary function will games. That will be about the only function. World of Warcraft mainly, Smite/LoL/DotA2 maybe, Warframe, World of Warships, but a lot others possibly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $132.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $55.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Inland - 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX340 ATX Mid Tower Case $40.50 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $677.60
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $652.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-25 11:08 EDT-0400

*not sure if I need a USB windows 10 because IDK if my case will have a disc drive, or what component is even responsible for having a disc drive will be present in this build, lol. Also not sure if I may need a 32/64 bit, I thought just the 64 bit would be fine?

*Not sure if the fans are needed or not but willing to pay for them IF they are needed.

*Idk if there is anything else I could cut down on closer to $600 while keeping the same CPU and GPU, I don't want to have decent CPU and GPU and cheapo everything else, I hear that may affect the life of my GPU/CPU and want the lowest price items while still being well paired and healthy with my GPU/CPU.

Thank you!

Also if you could overlook this build and see if there are any discrepancies. Things like -will the be multiple different color RBGs? I prefer one color for aesthetic, I know the fans are red and no other component mentions color in the title. -Will everything fit and plug into each other? -Also will I need to order any additional products like I heard about some kind of temperature gel and certain screws that hold the motherboard off the wall a little. Is everything I will need included ( minus basic tools like screwdrivers I have)? If I bought everything on this list now and had it now, could I assemble it all together and start playing games now? What else would I need to get?

Thank you! thank you!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

A key question is what resolution will you be playing at (1080p, 1440p, presumably not 4k), and what fps goal do you have in mind? If we assume 1080p and 60-ish fps, and you're willing to turn down graphics settings to mid levels when needed, the list you have should be good (and I very much like your power supply selection). You might be able to save a little with a micro ATX motherboard and case but the savings would be minor. Yes, you want the fans, the case comes with a single rear exhaust pre-installed so you'll want at least one intake fan and two would be better.

The CPU comes with a (decent) stock cooler with thermal paste pre-applied, so you don't need extra paste unless you see yourself taking the cooler off and re-mounting it for whatever reason. The motherboard, power supply, and case should include all the cables and screws you need.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

-Yes 1080p, 60fps is all I care to achieve. Or at least the results of trying my best to get closest to 60fps at 1080p with my budget.

-I browsed briefly at motherboards cheaper than mine, cheap enough to warrant a change at least. I found a healthy amount of negative reviews and concerns. I'm not sure what "features" I would need for my motherboard for this build. I gathered the cheaper ones don't have as much or as good features. I would love to cut down my overall price a bit but I don't know what I'd be sacrificing or if I would even be able to tell. Any insight into this?

-And good! I suppose I'll hold off on thermal paste then since it's pre-applied. I assume it still works fine when pre-applied?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Also a quick question, how do I find out of my case has enough room to add a HDD in the future for extra storage?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I’d head for the manufacturer’s website which should have that info. If it doesn’t, it might have the case manual for download.

The preapplied stuff isn’t top of the line, but it’s good enough (within a degree or two).

I don’t see much if any room to cut by much. Windows, CPU, GPU are close to 400. The GPU is best value and trimming the CPU only gets you maybe $40 at a performance cost.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thank you very much for the help!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Expansion Internal 3.5" Drive Bays-2 Internal 2.5" Drive Bays-2 Expansion Slots-7

I found the information on the case but I don't know how to read it lol. Would a HDD fit in an expansion slot or one of the bays?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds like it has 2 HDD bays and 2 2.5" SDD bays. (and there should be one or two m.2 slots on the motherboard for SSD.) The "7 expansion slots" are probably PCIe cutouts in the back of the case.

• 8 months ago
  • -1 points
  • USB Needed to install windows, you case has usb ports.
  • 64 Bit is fine.
  • 3 Fans are needed. 1 140mm fan on the back for exhaust, and 2 120mm for intake. Check if you case supports a 140mm in the back though.
  • With any product that says RGB, that means you can probably change it between Red, Green, Blue and more.
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST BUY THERMAL PASTE, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS YOUR COMPUTER WILL OVERHEAT AND BE UNUSABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I would do for $600

Now, everything here is fine, but in I would recommend a Ryzen 7 1700, which is newer, and way faster than the older R5 that costs basically the same.

So with all of that, this is what your part list will look like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $132.89 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste $9.93 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $55.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Inland - 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX340 ATX Mid Tower Case $40.50 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $42.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan $10.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan $10.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing 14 LED Red 51.15 CFM 140mm Fan $11.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $715.31
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $685.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-25 12:26 EDT-0400

(EXCLUDING THE 1700 CPU, IT WAS A LITTLE TO EXPENSIVE)

It's alot more expensive for the fans and paste and everything, but it is needed if you are going to build a pc.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

The M12II/S12II is not a good PSU and it is not suited for modern builds due to being group regulated. It lacks OTP and OCP protection, it doesn't support C6/C7 power states, and as I mentioned earlier it is group regulated which means during crossload the 5V rail or the 12V rail could get quite ugly or even go out of spec. Plus its known to be a loud PSU. It was a good PSU choice in 2010 but it days have passed. Just like you shouldn't use a GTX 470 anymore you really shouldn't use this anymore. Its not a flaming turd that will burn down your house and murder your family but its far from good, and not reliable due to missing protections.

Farther info

It lacks crucial safety protections

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-21.html

Its doesn't support low power states although its is pennies amounts saved so it is just icing on top of the cake.

It is group regulated which means that it can't out put its full power on the 12V rail and the 12V/5V rail uses one coil and when the load isn't balance e.g high load on one and low on the other aka crossload it has a very hard time regulating voltage which means that voltage regulation on the 12V and 5V can get ugly or even out spec if you push the PSU hard enough.

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/psu/160/5

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I didn't realize. My bad, I'm don't really know too much about PSUs so I just picked with with a good rating.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks for the reply.

-When you say USB is needed, does that mean all windows 10 come with a usb to install it? Or that my case and components don't have a disc drive?

-Thanks for all the other tips and advice too, I looked into the Ryzen 7 1700, it does put my budget even further away from my range would be ok but the one I have, form what I've gathered, will do just fine for a while. I'm used to playing on a 8 year old budget prebuilt office pc and my wives 7 year old MacBook laptop for the last 2 years so I'll already be living in bliss with anything close to the R5, lol.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, the 1700 is really only needed for like editing and stuff, so the R5 is fine.

And for the disc drive, you don't need one, I don't think that you have one on the case. Just get a usb thumb drive (win10 doesnt come with one) and install win10 on that from a different computer and then load it onto the built computer with the thumb drive.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok, good. I feel great with the R5 then. Thanks. I'm going to end up spending full price for the Win10 Home Full USB, so I can put Win10 on another part in the future if I change them out. Also I don't know anyone with Win10 to copy, I've been dealing with dinosaur computers for a couple of years and most people I know have a Mac. Anyway thanks for the input!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get Windows off of the microsoft store. Never get any CD Keys cheaper than $100 rather than the ones off the microsoft store, they are unreliable scams that shut down after a while. Also they are against microsoft Terms of Service I believe.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh. I was looking at this one. This one is ok?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST BUY THERMAL PASTE, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS YOUR COMPUTER WILL OVERHEAT AND BE UNUSABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why say that when the CPU cooler should come with it preapplied?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't think about it with it being pre-applied, but still you want to buy some to replace it in the future.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Roundabouts when should I replace the paste? You are talking about just replacing the paste right?

• 8 months ago
  • -1 points

Yes, just the paste.

And you don't have to buy it right away. Only when you think your CPU is getting hot. So about every year. Or 6 months just to be safe.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, friend.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube