add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 2600X with 1660 Ti for first build- opinions wanted

newmie10

7 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xWwTkd

Was wondering if I need the Wraith Max, love the way it looks but stock cooler may be able to keep up, also, faster RAM speed? I know Ryzen loves fast RAM, but will it really impact it that much? Any input is appreciated- thanks.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The Wraith Max is somewhat of a sidegrade from the stock cooler, so I wouldn’t really use it

As for the memory, AM4’s ‘Infinity Fabric’ architecture relies on high RAM bandwidth and frequency to operate optimally, so it’s much better to get a faster kit

Also squeezed in some other niceties, like a mechanical keyboard, VA panel monitor, and a bigger SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $58.28 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB OC Video Card $274.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $75.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $69.00 @ Amazon
Monitor *MSI - Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $189.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Redragon - K561 VISNU Wired Gaming Keyboard $39.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1138.10
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 20:37 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot, will definitely update the list. Any other problems?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that I can see, no.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Faster ram will make the computer a lolt faster, as the speed of ryzen CPUs are heavily dependant on the speed of the memory. As someone who has used the stock cooler on the 2600x, it is fine for the cpu. I was able to achieve a 4.2ghz OC on mine with the default cooler. You would be much better off spending that extra cooler money on ram that is 2400 mhz or higher. Other than that, your computer looks good. You could change the case to the s340, and upgrade the PSU to a modular one, but that PSU should be fine.

TLDR: swap the cooler for faster ram.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot, switched the stock cooler to faster RAM and I will look into the case and PSU.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The S340 is actually the older version of the case you have, so it’s best if you stick with the one you have.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, around the same price anyway, so I'll stick with this one.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think a 2600X and 1660 Ti are a good combination for this? Sorry, this is my first ever build.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on resolution and titles.

For 1080p, it should be just fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Dzuqw1HKY

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be fine. I won’t be playing very graphics intensive games so it won’t be a problem.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. The case psu thing shouldn't be an issue, because it is a semi-modular 80+ bronze unit from corsair, which makes reliable PSUs. It might help with cable management, but given the cable management in the h500, that shouldn't be an issue.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What’s the difference between full modular and semi anyway?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Fully modular means that all cables can be removed from the PSU, and semi modular means that only some cables can be removed (example: SATA and IDE power cords can be removed, but ATX and CPU power can't).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So not a huge difference unless using custom cabling.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

With full modular, all of the cables are seperate. You can choose which cables to use. With semi-modular, only some of the cables are seperate. Some are directly attached to the psu, with no way to remove them.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You shouldn't need the Wraith Max, the stock cooler will keep up although it won't have RGB.

Faster RAM is usually a good idea for Ryzen, exppecially because 3000Mhz RAM is the same price as the 2133Mhz kit you picked out.

I also made a couple tweaks to get the most out of the price of your PC list ($1130):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.89 @ OutletPC
Memory GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB OC Video Card $274.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $75.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $174.95 @ Walmart
Keyboard Redragon - DEVARAIAS K556 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1165.66
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $1130.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 20:51 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

How reputable is SeaSonic? Never heard of them before, and especially w/ PSU need to be sure to have a legitimate seller.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic is generally a good PSU brand. I've had a SeaSonic PSU in my PC for at least 6 years (probably longer); it's slient and has never failed.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Great. That 80+ gold is also a plus over the 80+ bronze of the other one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube