add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Battle of the B450Ms - help choosing mobo.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

I would go with the 1 ASRock B450M PRO4, you could try the 2 ASRock B450M Steel Legend

1 https://www.vuugo.com/asrock-motherboards-B450M-PRO4.html?tracking=5108053939762

2 https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1205_1505&item_id=136298

And the best option would be, to call vuugo for availability or even back order the following board.

MSI B450M MORTAR

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

i have heard bad things about power delivery on pro4, but steel legend seems better

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I would regardless the above, choose that board instead as the other boards you have selected have poor heat-sinks over their VRM department.

Having a insufficient heat-sink over the mosfets, regardless how much phases the board offers, makes it automatically a bad board for overclocking purposes.

Just get a good air cooler, as as long as you are below the 1.4 Vcore mark, that's the best you can do on a mATX B450 board.

How much of an overclock potential you will get, depends on the quality of the CPU chip.

So, if you get that 1700 up to 3.8GHz with a Vcore voltage of 1.34 for example, just leave it that way.

That's more than enough for your needs. :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

as said, just doing a very minor OC to crank out a little extra oomf. i bought it for the core count not the speed. will probably end up doing steel legend for the aesthetics of it tbh

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

would you recommend the Aorus M from gigabyte? its stylish although ive heard the BIOS can be a pain in the ***

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

would you recommend the Aorus M from gigabyte?

Not at all.

That may be one of the worst boards as overclocking concerns.

You have three phases with a tiny cooler, and one phase that doesn't even have sort of an cooling solution over it.

That would be a joke of a board for overclocking a 16 thread processor.

https://imgur.com/oK0SeKL

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

VRMs are one thing i dont know much about, but that clears it up for me, thanks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What motherboards?

Where's the link! lol

What's your processor btw.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus's power delivery on lower end AMD boards is even worse, with massive overheating problems.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

oh yes the asus prime's are absolutely atrocious, they lack a vrm heatsink in the first place. the TUF boards are the midrange between strix and prime

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The TUF boards aren't really that good also, they overheat to 140 degrees Celsius under load from a 2700x, absolutely unacceptable. Even a 6 core 2600 or 2600x is too much load for the garbage they have under those heatsinks.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

well that changes my mind. im coming from intel where usually asus has good rep but yikes.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The Steel Legend is a very good option, they have a solid design. I think they released this one to cover the premium tier on the B450 chipset.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it's still a budget board, but in my opinion the best choice than going with one of the remaining boards that the OP did list above. :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I been digging through these, just remember the x470 often has higher specs for power and mem speed and usually better VRM than B450, but cheaper versions can be marginal. The older x370 the top ones were good enough they didn't even change some of the better ones on new x470 versions. Generally a board good for OC will have better VRM. VRM is not everything its really more important if you OC a lot, or big OC an 8 core is going to need more power and might be much for a 450 or lesser board. Most gamers don't need a lot of cores. Watch the Buildzoid video on x470 boards to learn more, however remember he is all about MAX OC power not other options and likes the best vrm boards mostly because of that. The Asus tend to have a nicer bios for OC stuff, but asrock msi and gigabyte have some good boards too. The x470 asus prime pro has sinks on the vrm and turns out to be pretty good at OC, but has no led for post problems and its not cheap, it is right in the middle with pretty good hardware and bios but not a top gamer board with all the bling. I am looking at that or the strix only because I figure a better board will take a better cpu down the road. Buildzoid even admits to overheat the asus vrm he OC'd the processor to a voltage so high he would never actually run that, and the prime is a mid board not high end hero. He really leans on things, got it to shut down at 125C after 45min stress testing. I'd say any of the b450 with good reviews and features you want should work, especially if they successfully OC on them (reasonable oc) without bios problems. I like Asus a little better for bios and mem speeds but they don't discount as much either. Other budget high rated gaming boards should work great for you. Look carefully at the features though and get what you want, and don't count out a Nvme prices are getting good and they are much faster than sata.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

well as im stuck to mATX, X470 is not available (which i still dont understand, if you can do it ITX why not mATX) so unless i do ITX, which im totally okay with, x470 is not possible. i was looking at nvme but with 1st gen ryzen you only get 16 pcie lanes, it cuts down gpu to x8.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

well as im stuck to mATX, X470 is not available (which i still dont understand, if you can do it ITX why not mATX) so unless i do ITX, which im totally okay with, x470 is not possible.

MATX has been downgraded to budget options across the board with only a few mid range models being available it isn't just a AMD thing.

i was looking at nvme but with 1st gen ryzen you only get 16 pcie lanes, it cuts down gpu to x8.

First and second generation are the same for PCIe layout the first M.2 slot is wired directly to the CPU and only interacts with the Sata controller,

Secondary M.2 are an issue because AMD only supports Gen 2.0 from the chipset so to enable Gen 3.0 x2/x4 support you have to disable motherboard features and slots.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube