• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DGoody 28 days ago

Hello,

I just wanted some honest opinions about this build. I am trying not to go over $1600. I mainly just want to be able to play the latest games at high frame rates with no performance issues, and I really wanted some rgb for this build since my last one didn't have any. I'm a simple man.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DGoody/saved/hvkYTW

Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments Sorted by:

LIVE_AMMO 1 point 28 days ago

and I really wanted some rgb for this build since my last one didn't have any. I'm a simple man.

Once you go RGB you lose that "simple man" privilege. I lost my non-RGB virginity in 2017 after years of eagerly poised antagonism. I haven't been the same since lol. It always starts with mild accents here and there and sooner then you can call it, you've got yourself a full blown circus show in your home.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $379.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $69.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $156.00 @ Amazon
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $104.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.85 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card $489.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake - V200 Tempered Glass RGB Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $74.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 56.5 CFM 120mm Fan -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1495.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 23:37 EDT-0400

Only $35 more for:

• a faster clock cycling k-series CPU (excellent auto-turbo boost ceiling for a scalable 5-7% performance advantage) + overclocking potential (something you might fancy a couple of years down the line)

• RGB RAM

• A compatible Z390 mobo with some added optimised functionality both at the memory/CPU level + beefier VRM cooling/power phases for streamlined power draw (lesser CPU throttling).

• MX500 SSD from Crucial doesn't require any cables and delivers the same performance and quality as Samsung's offering

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what are you targeting for in terms of gaming resolution? (1080p/1440p/4k)

DGoody submitter 1 point 27 days ago

I game at 1080p. I have a 32 in 144 hz monitor. Thank you for the suggestions/changes! Only one question because I'm not too versed in this. It showed two compatibility issues on your build. Are these anything to worry about?

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled. The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

LIVE_AMMO 2 points 27 days ago

M.2 utilisation simply borrows the lanes from the SATA port/s. Hence if you take a M.2 SSD, and plug it into one of the M.2 headers on the mobo, one/two of the SATA ports will be disabled. This is normal!

You don't need to do anything other than check the motherboards manual which will point out the disabled one/s and simply avoid it when installing additional SATA devices. You have 4 additional SATA ports available with the selected motherboard.

[comment deleted]
Liam81 1 point 27 days ago

You didn't have an M.2 listed. Just so you know... There are two basic types which are

1) PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 which has outrageous speeds

2) 3D NAND

The second type are about the same cost ( a little higher) than a SSD but 3 times as fast.

The first one is crazy fast more $$ and you really can't tell how fast they are..... almost too fast. Easier to tell on a benchmark than in reality.

[comment deleted]
Liam81 1 point 27 days ago

Well here goes honesty …

You want to be able to play games (what games) at a high frame rate ?

Why not an 15-9600K with an RTX 2060 ?

I would scrap the idea 3200 and max out at 3000. In fact, I don't know that I would go ant faster than 2666 if you will not overclock. This is the speed set up with these processors out of the box. Corsair had 16GB (2 x 8GB) for $99.

Why use a water cooler for the CPU ? They will run great on air ! Is that another RGB thing ? The all in one solutions have a limited life and that is fine if that's what you want. But for air I would / can recommend the Scythe Mugen 5 and it goes for $50.

But deciding whch parts work best for you depends on the kind of games you want to play and what the specs of your monitor are. And those are ….. ? 1080p or 1440