add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving to A Bigger Drive

Rrrrry123

4 months ago

I'm really sorry if this is a noob question, and I'm sure it's been asked here a million times before, but I am unable to find an article on the internet for what I want to do specifically. I have my D drive as a storage drive with all my files and Program Files on it. No Windows stuff, that's all on my C SSD. It's only where I install programs and have my Documents and crap like that. If I were to upgrade to a bigger drive, could I just copy everything over to the new drive, name it Drive D and call it a day? Would everything still work the same as it had before? And how would I go about doing that? I could connect an external drive, copy everything to it, take out my old drive and put in the new one, call it D and copy everything back onto it? Would that work? Everything on the internet I can find talks about moving your whole Windows installations, but I just want to move my programs and Documents. Thank you for your help!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

By the sounds of it the simplest thing you'd want to do is clone the D: drive to the new drive. Then you remove D: and set the new drive to D: or you could just leave it as E: (or whatever the next letter available was). Depending on the drive you get, the manufacturer (of the new drive) may provide some cloning software on their site. It's generally pretty straight forward.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I figured it might be. I just wanted to be sure. I appreciate your response.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube