• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Pcwonder 27 days ago

If you have a pc that has a virus or believed to be hacked, what parts should you replace to make sure it is safe again. Will just replacing the hardrive do it. thanks

Comments Sorted by:

IForgotMyPassword 9 points 25 days ago

That depends on the complexity of the virus. For the vast majority of situations, a basic antivirus application will do the job. For very rare scenarios, it may be required to format the drive the OS is installed on. In even rarer cases, it may be required to format all drives associated with the computer. In stupidly rare examples (read: deliberately targeted attacks), it may be required to reinstall the firmware of certain components in the system, whether it be drives, graphics cards, the motherboard, advanced lighting systems, PCI cards, etc...

I reiterate; the probability of a firmware virus infecting your PC is ridiculously low. If you are concerned about your system and you believe it to be infected, use one of these, first: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/, https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-free-edition/

Shakaron 7 Builds 3 points 21 days ago

Best response. It's a shame it doesn't come up first.

Shakaron 7 Builds 3 points 17 days ago

Now it does. :)

RegisteredTeam 3 points 17 days ago

Thanks for the submitted response. Helpful info for me.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 4 points 27 days ago

What? I am completely confused. Why are you replacing hardware to solve a software issue? How exactly is your PC "hacked" (it isn't), and if you have a virus/malware have you run any anti-malware software on it?

LegionNate 1 point 23 days ago

There's no reason to replace hardware for a virus. The most intensive thing you'd ever have to do to get rid of a virus is reinstall the operating system.