• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Frugert 1 month ago

I'm fiddling around with clocks, etc, in AMD WattMan.

While in Unigine Valley I paused it on 1 scene so that the clocks don't fluctuate much at all.

I kept the clocks stock and had the voltage at 1140mV and was getting about 1585MHz + or - 1 MHz. I gradually started raising the Memory clock from 945 and got all the way up to 1080MHz at 1000mV, but while doing this the clock speed was dropping around 5MHz for every 10MHz i added on the memory clock. Am i missing something here or does the memory and core affect eachother somehow?

I'm using an Asus ROG Strix Vega 64

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Overclocking the memory increases the power draw and adds more thermal output for the cooler to dissipate.

That is why you see people trying to undervolt which lowers heat output and thermal output.

Or mod the card to ignore the design power limits.

Frugert submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Does modding the card involve anything physical or is it software based?

Also would modding the card void the warranty? (I've contacted Asus about the warranty and they stated that as long as overclocking and undervolting doesn't cause damage to the card itself then it doesn't void the warranty)

Also are there any dangers of damaging the card with modding it to increase power limits?

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Does modding the card involve anything physical or is it software based?

It can be both depending on the mod.

Also would modding the card void the warranty? (I've contacted Asus about the warranty and they stated that as long as overclocking and undervolting doesn't cause damage to the card itself then it doesn't void the warranty)

Yes.

Also are there any dangers of damaging the card with modding it to increase power limits?

The Card, The Motherboard, The Power Supply.

FancySnancy 1 point 1 month ago

most mods are physical modifications, if you want to mod a card to be water cooled you have to take off the existing cooling system to put a water block on it

also that part where you contacted the Asus about overclocking is just BS, if your card Fails and they find out you've been overclocking it the first thing they're ganna do is say that was the cause of the problem, (although i don't see how undervolting your card could damage it)

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

you might be hitting power limit.