i7-9700K

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280

Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC

NZXT H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower

For the PSU I was looking at a 650W. But according to PCPartPicker, I would easily be ok with a 550W. Would you folks agree with that? Assuming 550W is good enough, would I still be ok if down the road I upgrade my GPU to a 2080 or even a 2080 Ti and my CPU to an i9. I can tell you that I do not plan on getting a 2nd video card.

I've narrowed my list down to the following two...

Seasonic Focus Plus Series 550W 80+ Gold

Corsair RM550x 80 Plus Gold

I've read good reviews for both brands. I'm leaning towards the SeaSonic. I like that it has more connections. Both are exactly the same price ($110 CAD). Going to a 650W is $129 for the SeaSonic and $135 for the Corsair. That's not a huge price difference, but do I need 650W?

Comments Sorted by:

Bushmatic 1 point 1 month ago

Just for comparison, PCPartPicker said my build would use 359W and I bought a 550W platinum power supply from Seasonic. It is working perfectly. I think people tend to really overcompensate on wattage from what I've seen on here. That being said, someone much more knowledgeable than me might chime in with better information.

Granddy 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

A 550w psu of decent quality should work with any system with a single cpu+gpu setup.

Gamer Nexus was using an oc i7 7700k+ gtx 1080 and it didn't even went past 350w in the games and stress tests they were testing. (It may reach closer to 400w if both the cpu and gpu are being 100% stressed but in gaming scenarios it won't ever reach over 400w.)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

Fatbob73 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thanks for that link. I'm assuming that both the SeaSonic and Corsair are of good quality and I'm looking at getting an 80+ Gold.

fellway 1 point 1 month ago

SeaSonic and Corsair have older units that aren't that great, but if you're only looking at gold, then you're most likely good to go.

I suggest the SeaSonic Focus Plus or Bitfenix Whisper M, since they usually offer competitive prices at the same performance. If you're in the US: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/CZvZxr,bkp323,bqVD4D,ns448d/

Thanks for the comments. I'm fairly sure that a 550W PSU will power my build mentioned above. I'm just wondering if 550W will be enough if ever I start overclocking my CPU and or GPU? Also, as I mentioned in my post, will I still be ok with 550W if ever I upgrade my GPU to 2080?

For the fun of it, I replaced my 2060 with a 2080 Ti in my build and according to PCPartPicker, a 550W will still be able to power that build. Even switching to an i9 seemed to be ok for a 550W. But is that accurate?

Potatogamer1230 1 point 1 month ago

I would go with a 650w psu. I would also get one that is either semi or fully modular.

Both of those PSUs are fully modular. To be honest, I am tempted to spend the extra $20 for the 650W SeaSonic, but I'm just wondering if that's overkill?

Potatogamer1230 1 point 1 month ago

the more wattage the better. you wont have to worry about not having enough wattage if you upgrade, and if you want to overclock you wont have to worry about not having enough wattage either.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

I don't agree with more is better. It's unlikely that any reasonable upgrade to the build will take the OP over 550w. I wouldn't quibble with getting a 650w unit if the price is right and quality is there, but going higher would be a waste.

Fatbob73 submitter 1 point 28 days ago

That was my point exactly, is it a waste? $20 for the 650W is not a huge amount of money but for example, I'm debating getting a 2070 instead of a 2060 and that $20 could go towards that.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 28 days ago

"Waste" is harsh, but if you have better things to do with the money then I'd stick with 550 watts, which will be fine even with the 2070 (or even 2080, really).