add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Media projects storage on PCIE and sata ?

Capcadet05

7 months ago

Hey I’ve built an video editing rig hackintosher, love it. Partspicker list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Capcadet05/saved/PWWcYJ. I know 500gb wasn’t enough memory but I couldn’t resist NVme evo 970. The compromise I made was a back up external HDD for project media (approaching 300 gb). I am worried about that external HDD going bad if I offload media to that HDD exclusively. So I’m thinking about getting a cheap 7200 rpm 2 TB HDD. I currently have the eco 970 with Mac OS and another Samsung 860 with the windows OS. I’m pretty sure I’ve got them running on pcie in the bios. My question is can I just plug in a sata drive and expect it to work fine when the other two are running on PCIE? My intent would be to store media on the 2 tb HdD then move the working media for current editing to the SSD 970. Then my backup catch all in case the drive fails is my external HD passport drive which is just a time machine backup of all drives.

Mobo link here : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/specifications/

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the 860 evo is a SATA drive, even if it's in the m2 form factor. Adding a SATA HDD isn't going to be a problem. Using a NVMe drive doesn't disable all the SATA ports. If you were running two NVMe drive, one of the m2 slots may disable some of the SATA ports, you'd have to look at your motherboard manual to determine which ones. But all the remaining SATA ports would be fine to use for SATA SSDs or HDDs.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally don't trust external usb hdd. I have my share of them going bad. If you're doing a lot of video editing and data storage I highly recommend investing in hot swap bays. This will allow easy removal and install of HDD/ssd.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube