• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

mrainy 1 month ago

Is it normal to have an average of 50C for this 970 Evo Plus?

Under load, this M.2 SSD temp reaches 70 easily. I installed a EKWB EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink for it and the temp seems no change at all.

My case fans only support DC mode. As my CPU can still stay cool under load, the fans stay at low RPM. If I force all fans to high RPM, the M.2 temp can drop for around 5C.

Any suggestions? Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/KDdXsY

Comments Sorted by:

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 1 point 1 month ago

For all the fuss people raise over NVMe temps, I think this is a case where ignorance is bliss. You never worried about SSD temps when it was just some SATA SSD in a magic box with the SATA interface. But you make it smaller and plug it directly into the motherboard and give them a data point to worry over and people lose their minds.

The 970 evo OPERATING TEMPERATURE 0 - 70 ℃ according to Samsung. And there's not a realistic expectation for user to have to monitor or manage (NVMe) SSD temps, so if you choose to do that you're just crazy-making in most cases.

Are you running the drive constantly at a high load and are experiencing adverse performance as a result, or do you just need something to fiddle with? If you need a number within normal operating temps to be lower, sure go nuts. More fans, on all the time, liquid cooling, the works.