add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RX 580 VS RX 590 VS GTX 1660/1660 TI - First build

Moox101

8 months ago

Trying to decide which GPU to get for my first system build. All I'm trying to achieve is 1080p Gaming at 60FPS. Ideally the build would last a good while before I needed to upgrade. At a build budget of around $700 USD the recommendations are all over the place for a GPU. Leaning more towards AMD just due to the fact that their cards have 8G VRAM whilst the Nvidia cards have 6 GB VRAM.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

All I'm trying to achieve is 1080p Gaming at 60FPS. Ideally the build would last a good while before I needed to upgrade.

They will all do that but at different quality settings.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1813-geforce-gtx-1660-mega-benchmark/

Leaning more towards AMD just due to the fact that their cards have 8G VRAM whilst the Nvidia cards have 6 GB VRAM.

Both the AMD cards are already slower and having more VRAM only matters if you have the performance to use it which isn't the case here with the 1660 being 5% faster on average well running cooler and quieter.

If you want longevity buy the card with the best performance you can fit in budget.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thing to remember - there are 10's of thousands of games on Steam, thousand's on GOG and so on. The RX580 will handle all of them at 1080p. The most demanding games might push the card to the point you need to tweak settings mixed at high and medium to achieve 60fps. Only 5 titles come to mind where an RX580 will not run them at 60fps highest settings at 1080p. There might be one of two more but not a lot. Nice thing with RX 580 is price. You get a nice performance bump from the GTX 1660Ti but it will not be the sort of bump that adds years to longevity. Check your monitor for freesync or gsync that should seal the deal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube