add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Builder noob, looking for advice

Gjally113

7 months ago

Hi guys

Building my first pc, i have done a decent amount of research, but maybe it could be improved or more cost effective. Only have two questions, does my power supply have enough pins to support the GPU? and am i going a bit overboard on the monitor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hbjzV6

Thanks

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $408.00 @ Shopping Express
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $99.00 @ PCCaseGear
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $379.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $172.99 @ Amazon Australia
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $159.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.00 @ Austin Computers
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card $644.83 @ Amazon Australia
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $160.60 @ Newegg Australia
Power Supply Rosewill - Capstone 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $101.20 @ Newegg Australia
Monitor AOC - C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $279.00 @ PCCaseGear
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2483.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 00:40 AEDT+1100
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this an alternate build? If so can you explain why you went with what you did? Thanks for sharing if it is!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Use case? Budget? Target settings and performance? If you can provide more information I can help you better.

To answer your questions though the GPU needs a 6-pin PCIe and an 8-pin PCIe cable. The PSU has 2x 6+2 pin PCIe cables so you will be fine. The monitor is probably a bit much. 180hz is a weird refresh rate. 144 or 240 would be more standard. you can probably save a fair bit of money by going with 144.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the reply

I just want to be able to be able to game comfortably, so i was going for a solid mid tier build with a budget of $3000. The parts i picked were based on what i thought was good value for money, all I want to know if someone knows that there are better alternatives. I have actually selected the wrong monitor, it was supposed to be the 144hz version.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $250.00 @ Shopping Express
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $99.00 @ PCCaseGear
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $228.00 @ Centre Com
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $188.25 @ Amazon Australia
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $139.00 @ Amazon Australia
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive -
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.00 @ Austin Computers
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card $645.38 @ Amazon Australia
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ BudgetPC
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $155.10 @ Newegg Australia
Monitor Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180 Hz Monitor $449.00 @ PCCaseGear
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2382.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-26 01:58 AEDT+1100

Really the only only changes I made was the CPU and board.

The R5 2600 provides the best value for most tasks at the moment. If you are doing CAD work then Intel is still the way to go for the stronger single thread performance, but If you are doing gaming then the 2600 will be phenomenal. I also changed the board to match that. The PRO carbon AC is the best B450 board that is available right now.

The fast RAM is good and the cooler is solid. For a first build an air cooler is a solid way to go.

I kept the storage, but if you don't need the 500 GB drive for a scratch drive or something like that then you can drop it off for now and add it later if you want.

I changed the PSU to one that is a little more expensive, but is gold rated. It should provide better efficiency in terms of power draw. With the cost of power in AUS being pretty high (34 cents vs 12 cents in US) this should help.

The GPU is a solid choice and the case is a personal choice, but it is a solid case.

A 144hz monitor will be a solid pick. You can probably look around a little and you might be able to find a better deal for a 144hz monitor, but I'm not sure.

Overall, what you had selected was a solid build. Just a little optimization and knowledge from experience was needed.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

With a budget of 3000$, you could easily get an rtx 2070 or possibly even 2080, and the storage and mem of this is going a little overboard for only a 2600. That monitor should be fine, but you should either downgrade storage and mem for a better fit or upgrade the gpu and cpu for a pc better suited for a 3000$ budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I don't know how you are getting a 2600 for 250$ US, it usually goes for around 180, and I would invest in a ryzen 7 2700X for a 3000$ budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on the information I had I think that for a first build the parts list I picked is fine. I don't know if OP is going to try playing at 4k down the road or if they need the power of a 2070/80. If they don't need the power then there is no sense in buying the card to let it sit there. I also don't know if OP will be doing tasks that would benefit from a 2700x. Based on the fact that all I knew was that they wanted a gaming PC I chose accordingly. You also don't need to use the entire budget. I only used about $2400 AUD of the budget and got some fairly solid performance for the monitor that OP had picked. I could upgrade parts, but since I only knew that OP was gaming I don't want the power to go to waste.

For the storage, I don't know what OP does and does not need as far as that. If you look over my post where I explained my reasoning behind the parts I chose I mentioned that since I didn't know what they needed as far as storage I kept it as-is, but if they don't need the NVMe SSD for a scratch drive then they could drop it off for now.

For the RAM I think that 16 GB is a solid place to be right now. 8 GB you might start running into high usage if you play games like BF5 that need a lot of RAM or you do a lot of multitasking. If you go over 16 then you should have a legitimate reason to do so, such as photo and video editing with multiple instances of a program open at the same time.

If you look at the parts list that OP provided and the parts list that I edited and posted you will see that some of the parts are from Amazon Australia which means that these prices are in AUD. The current exchange rate is 1 AUD to 0.71 USD, so $250 AUD would be about $177 USD which fits that price you think it should in USD.

If you have any more questions let me know.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Read OP post it's AU so prices are inflated.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good but a 144 hz would be cheaper,

I'm just really remarking on the prices. In the us that build would cost less than 1500$.

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

looks good. the gpu might not be able to get the 180 fps the monitor can support but other than that it's a good list

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to hear! I have chosen the wrong monitor, it was supposed to be the 144hz version. Thanks for the reply!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube