add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading from 770 to...

SockeyeSalmon

8 months ago

So I had a plan to build a new rig but will be postponing. Current rig is an i5-4670k 8gig ddr3 and a 7702gb Gigabyte windforce. Plays my older games just fine but newer games like Insurgency Sandstorm I’m seeing stuttering. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 1660ti or just gonfor a 2060. I have. Gold rated xfx 750 watt power supply.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

If it's a basic 1080p60Hz monitor, then the 1660ti will be more than enough.

If it's higher resolution or a higher refresh rate, then I'd say to go ahead and get the 2060

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Current monitor is 60hz looking to upgrade in future but for now just 60hz

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Then, a 1660/1660TI should be more than enough, but if you plan on upgrading fairly soon, than get the 2060

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/4034vs4037

This is an overall average comparison between the 2060 and 1660ti. The 2060 is about 17% more powerful and is about 25% more expensive (at MSRP). Either card will perform well at up to 1440p ultra settings. You will want to turn the settings down if you are playing at 4k or want to get a high refresh rate monitor, but other than that either card will be a solid choice.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1799-geforce-gtx-1660-mega-benchmark/

Another option would be to buy a used GTX 1080. You can get one for about the same $350 USD that you would pay for a 2060, but you will see an average of 33% better performance over the 1660ti for the same 25% increase in price of the 2060 over the 1660ti.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4037vs3603

If you don't do a lot of PC gaming then the 1660ti would probably be the best to go with, but if you play a fair bit to a lot then you should look into a more powerful card.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

2060 I was told my system wouldn’t bottleneck it too much being an older cpu. I think I’ll get the 2060. As far as adding another 8gb does it have to match my current sticks?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You might get a small amount of bottlenecking, but it shouldn't be severe. If you get additional RAM you will want it to match as close as you can to your current sticks. Capacity, Speed, Timings, Kit size. Those are the most important and some motherboards don't really care at all. It is always a good idea to match your parts as close as possible to the existing parts though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

1660/1660Ti and bump RAM up to 16GB. You will be set.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube