• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Junior950 1 month ago

I received this compatibility error "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." I was wondering if someone could explain how i could use this memory "Samsung - 970 Pro 512 GB" with this mother board "Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING" here is my part list for reference https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zb73YT

Comments Sorted by:

Billy-Bob_Kenobi 3 points 1 month ago

The compatibility warning is just there to notify you that when you use the m.2 slot, one of the SATA ports will be disabled. Since you don't have any SATA drives in that build at all, you don't have to worry about it.

thunder-93 3 points 1 month ago

OP, in addition, please reference page 1-21 of your mobo manual.

Note that since you happen to be using an NVMe M.2 drive with this mobo (in either M.2_1 or M.2_2) that no SATA ports will be disabled--so you are good to go.

If you would have been installing an M.2 SATA SSD, then the manual explains that "When the M.2_1 (Socket 3) is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 2 (SATA6G_2) will be disabled." This does not apply to you since you have an NVMe/PCIe SSD. But even if it did, you would have 5x more SATA ports available to use (#1, #3, #4, #5, and #6).