add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What GPUs can I use in VS450 without popping/toasting my mobo?

Ashley142436

5 months ago

Hello guys I'm planning on putting a gpu in my pc but I have a vs450 I've seen a lot of bad ratings on it and I'm scared if my pc gets toasted I can't really change my psu because I already bought it and quality psu in Philippines are very expensive enough to feed you for a month.

Here are my specs

Mobo: Biostar A780L3B Processor: AMD athlon x3 455 3.3ghz PSU: Corsair VS450 RAM: HyperX ddr3 8gb RAM Memory: Toshiba dt01aca050 Others: DVD+R DL

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I wouldn't put anything higher than a rx 560 in that rig. Even then, the aging athlon x3 may still bottleneck it in certain situations.

But both the rx 560/rx 460 and gtx 750 ti (even with the 6 pin) don't use that much power at all.

As long you stick with the low power cards with the 6 pins power connectors, you should be fine with that VS 450 psu.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What GPUs are safe to run on my specs?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Or can I at least run a gtx 9800, 750ti or an rx560/460?

• 5 months ago
  • -1 points

Your mayor problem is that processor.

Its' too slow for getting a decent GPU and get some decent fps numbers.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-200GE-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X3-455/m592714vsm1884

but I have a vs450 I've seen a lot of bad ratings

1147 total reviewers, with 963 positive reviews!

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-VS550-Certified-Non-Modular-Supply/product-reviews/B078HDMFRZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_next_2?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2#reviews-filter-bar

3498 reviewers with 2870 positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-VS650-Certified-Non-Modular-Supply/product-reviews/B078HJ2RCW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Alo keep in mind these affordable PSU units are for a low-midrange computer setup and not intended for high end gaming setups.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-releases-new-vs-psus,news-57513.html

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't trust amazon reviews for seeing if a psu is good or not. Most people don't know how to test psus properly.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

And just because you know how to test a PSU doesn’t mean you have the hardware to do it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats why you only trust psu reviews from sites like jonnyguru that have the proper equipment to test psus.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Most people don't know how to test psus properly.

They don't need to, as they are not qualified and they are not having the right equipment to do so anyway.

But not compare a labor stress test with an real world stress scenario.

A PSU is good if it drives the build without any unexpected shutdowns or other anomalies safely for as long as possible.

Regardless the many professional reviewers, users does very well know if a particular PSU is safe as long as it doesn't compromise the stability of the build for a decent amount of time.

Professional reviewers are stress testing the PSU to it's limits (because that's their job to do) to find out the upper limits of a PSU unit.

The funny thing is, a lot of these PSU's does never reach these upper limits thus be safe for the majority of the users.

And that's the difference between a labor stress test procedure vs a real world scenario.

Of course that doesn't mean the PSU should be a trash product.

And the new VS series from Corsair are far for being a trash product.

It's just a cheap group regulated product from a well know company like Corsair, and it's intended to be used from users on a very tight budget and with a low performing RIG.

And the OP's build complies with the above. :)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

People give logisys psus good reviews even though they are bombs. Those people only leave a positive review if it turns on and works. The professional people who test psus also test for ripple, hot and cold performance and max load.

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

Well, as you have realized so far, the most people in these forums are suggesting PSU units from manufacturers like EVGA, Corsair and SeaSonic and for a good reason.

Each build category should be paired with the proper PSU.

So, if someone doesn't have the money for purchasing a PSU unit with all the bells and whistles but does have a low end RIG, going with a cheap PSU from one of the above mentioned PSU manufacturers isn't a tragedy.

He could do better of course, but he could do worse as well.

We are talking about a Corsair unit, that I'm pretty sure safety features will kick in if the right time comes.

But yeah with a Logisys PSU, a lot can go wrong.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have not said anything bad about the corsair unit. I have only said don't trust user reviews on psus since they don't have the right equipment to test psus.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube