add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I get a Hybrid?

DanDan825

8 months ago

Hello PPT community, I have a 4tb hdd for my greatest percentage of PC storage, should i get a 4 tb hybrid instead? I know Hybrids are a little more expensive, but faster then hdds but a little slower then solid states. Would it be wiser to stay with my trusty hdd, or switch it out for a faster hybrid? Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Not really, as you can’t control what goes onto the cache (which means that it may not provide any discernible benefits)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! (again) :)

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, if you want to upgrade your system’s drive then I will suggest you to go for SSD instead of hybrid HDD as upgrading your system’s drive from HDD to SSD is one of the best things you do with your system. And the easiest way is to physically install it, connect the right cables, and reinstall Windows from scratch. But when you don’t want to deal with setting up Windows and wants to get all of your critical data, files and folders on a new hard drive then it might be a tough task.

If you wish you can check out the below blog by Stellar Data Recovery explaining all the methods to migrate Windows from hard drive to SSD - https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-migrate-windows-10-from-old-hdd-to-ssd/

Hope it will help.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It did help thanks!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hybrids aren't really in between; a more accurate statement would be that sometimes they are (almost) as fast as SSD, and other times they run at HDD speeds. It's very hard to predict when they are fast and when they are slow. If you access some fraction of the storage repeatedly, let's say large photo library thumbnails, a hybrid can be a good cost/size compromise. For other access patterns they can be very disappointing.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there even such things? I remember plenty of 1-2TB hybrids (popular for one-bay notebooks), but I think that the whole hybrid design was dead by the time 4TB drives got popular.

Do you have any SSD (or even a bay available for one)? While the point of 4TB drives is to make sure that they store the bulk of your data, the goal is to get the greatest percentage of data being accessed from flash (and a hybrid tends to have a tiny flash cache at that).

A 4TB hybrid sounds like a specific solution to a problem you haven't described very well (one bay notebook with ~4TB of data). In such a situation, a hybrid (assuming you can find one) may be a great solution: you get (hopefully) faster access, and you can use the old drive as a backup. For anything else I suspect there are better ways.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube