add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wiping HDDs

Delta1117

5 months ago

Hey guys,

I have 2 1TB WD Blue hard drives that I have taken out of 2 separate PCs. They were the only drives on the computers I took them from, but have virtually nothing on them except the OS and very few files. I want to completely wipe the 2 drives, however I cannot sign into Windows on them. I have a computer I could plug them into where I can access Windows, but I don't exactly know how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to completely wipe the 2 drives ... I have a computer I could plug them into ...

Install the "2 drives" into that "computer"
Use software of your choice to erase/overwrite the "2 drives"
e.g. DBAN
DBAN tutorial: Lifewire

As a precaution, disconnect all drives that is not the "2 drives" before use of DBAN.
WARNING: It can take hours for DBAN to complete depending on selections that you choose.

If you are only concerned about the "very few files"
You can skip "to completely wipe the 2 drives" and just use software such as Eraser.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to the tools Warlock mentions (DBAN, Eraser), there are several other options for drive wipe utilities -- for example, CCleaner (under "Tools" tab) includes a "Drive Wiper" utility with multiple options in easy pulldown menus. It's available for download at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard.

First, install the drive you want to erase into the computer.

Then run CCleaner.

Select the "Tools" Tab and select the "Drive Wiper" subtab.

Check box the drive you want to erase (be sure to check the correct drive).

Select the type of "Wipe" you want to do from the pulldown (Entire Drive or Free Space Only) ... go with "Entire Drive".

Select the "Security" level you want to wipe to (Simple Overwrite (1 pass), Advanced Overwrite (3 passes), Complex Overwrite (7 passes), or Very Complex Overwrite (35 passes).

Double-check all the settings (in particular which drive you picked to wipe).

Then hit the "Wipe" button.

That's about all there is to it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

DBAN is my go to wiping drives. If you have the time and want to make sure that it is pretty much impossible to get to the data you can use that. If you just want a clean drive to toss into another PC then you can install the two drives into the good PC (and unplug the drives you don't want to wipe), boot into the Windows install media and when it asks you to pick where you want to install Windows just select the drives and hit 'Format'. That should wipe the drive well enough that you can use them for storage in a different PC.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I put drives that need sanitation into a smelter.

Takes a lot less time than multi-pass overwriting them.

Poor off the melted aluminum into ingots to use as interesting paperweights.

Chuck the slag and debris left over from the non-aluminum parts. The platters are indeed sanitized long before reaching the melting temperature of the aluminum body.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube