add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building New PC, can i keep files on my old SSD

Hit-em

5 months ago

So i ordered new parts to do my first build. I'm currently using a 250 GB SSD as a boot drive. I ordered a New 500GB SSD that i plan to use as a boot drive in my new PC. But i want to put my old 250GB SSD in the computer as well. Is there a way i can put it in and keep all the programs and files on it while just deleting the windows 10 stuff on that drive?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Sure there's a way. Depending on the specifics, there's probably not a magic one button solution. What might be simpler over all, is copy the files you want to preserve to the 500GB drive, format the 250GB and then move the files back. That's what I would do. Otherwise you're still probably going to end up moving files around on the 250GB SSD to a safe location on the drive and trying to delete everything you want to delete and jump through whatever hoops that may entail

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That's kind of what i figured thanks for the input. What about moving things like games or my CAD programs. I can't just simply move the application from one drive to the next right? Would i need to reinstall the programs/games then just move the saved data over?

does that make sense? I'm bad at explaining thing.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Well moving software around can still require you to reinstall it depending on its specific needs and configuration. Although games are a bit more forgiving in that regard, I move Steam games around all the time and it's usually not a problem, it's pretty easy to get them "installed" again once Steam recognizes the files. But I don't think I could move Visual Studio 2017, for example, around the same way and not have it puke.

Most applications I would reinstall, I would reinstall something like Steam, Origin, GoG Galaxy, and move the game files to an appropriate location for those applications and mostly when you go to install them they'll recognize the existing files and skip the downloading bit and just do the installation bits and then you're good to go.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for taking the time respond, i really appreciate it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube