add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1660 vs 1660ti for 1080p 144hz gaming?

AdreeN

8 months ago

Hey,

I didn't realize there was a standard non-ti version of the 1660. Is it worth $80CAD for the diff?

Gaming benches seem so close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFU7C4k0G4

Looking to pair this with a ryzen 1700 for 1080p 144hz gaming. Should I go 1660ti or save some money and go 1660? Or should I go all out and go with a RTX 2060?

Thanks!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on how high you want the quality settings to be.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends, games you play will go a long way. Older titles, no problem, for most part. Both GPU's will give you good performance at 1080p. Newer AAA titles, if you like settings maxed out it will be a challenge hitting anywhere near 144fps. Heck with the 1660, it would be a challenge rendering some titles at 60fps or better.

To be honest, I am not massively impressed with Nvidia's 1660 or 1660Ti. Nvidia's 1660 in particular is making AMD's RX580 or RX590 look mighty appealing in the arena of bang for buck gaming.

Save some extra cash for the RX 2060. This if you already have a gaming rig with a GPU you are looking to upgrade. If this is your first PC, the 1660 will serve it's purpose but do check out the RX580. It does not quite perform as well but it is close enough and a bit cheaper. For a first PC it will be pretty swell.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I see what you mean. This will be my first desktop in over 10 years. Replacing a laptop with a mx150.

I'm looking to play games that come out over the 1-2 years in high-ultra settings, 100~ fps at 1080p. Will this be accomplishable with a ryzen 1700+2060? Or am I expecting too much. Thanks!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a laptop with mx150, using it now ;)

1080p at highest settings 100fps? Yeah Ryzen 1700 + 2060 would work out for vast majority of games. Depends on game, some titles require an obscene amount of horsepower to run at those sorts of frame rates. One game I was playing yesterday, a GTX1080 with i7-7700K would regularly tank below 60fps on highest settings @ 1080p although average was above 60fps. An RTX 2080Ti build I have barely makes 85fps on this title at 1080p. One cannot guarantee any particular hardware will hit a performance threshold for all possible games in the next 2 or so years. What most of us do is purchase a card well suited to the resolution and frame rate we wish to play at for a select few games, those games that are demanding enough to tank on our hardware, we drop settings. It is what it is. Either invest heavily in an overkill solution (which will be outdated within a few years anyway) or aim for an acceptable statistical measure for less money. RTX 2060 hits that sweet spot at 1080p.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. What game were u playing? I doubt it was a cpu bottleneck @1080p since im assuming the 2080ti would b paired with another monster. Thats insane!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. BTW, not really that good of a game, more of the same if you played Origins. Anyway, interesting game in that the hardware really gets pushed. 2080Ti was paired with an i9-9900K. So yeah, this game causes a GTX 1080 to really sweat at 1080p while the 2080Ti is underwhelming as well. At 4K, wow, game runs pretty choppy, getting around 50fps and regular drops below 30. I am amazed the game runs on consoles!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get a used 570 for like, 80 bucks. Not much more for a 580. Makes so many of the brand new cards harder to justify.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube