PCPartPicker

• Register

GPU for 3440x1440 @ 100-120 fps. Buy or wait?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

yliats 1 month ago

Hi all,

I want to build a new PC for gaming (and some professional use). I am aiming towards the x34p monitor which is 3440x1440 120 fps. This resolution and fps are great for me, so I don't see any reason to wait for some new screen to come out (HDR for 2k$ is not an option).

The problem is the GPU. Is it true that only RTX 2080 and above would deliver this frame rate at this resolution? Because I am not a big fan of ray tracing and would gladly wait for some alternative (as long as it will happen this year). Should I wait for Navi GPUs? Do you think its going to deliver 120 fps at 3440x1440? Will there be an Nvidia lunch any time soon?

Is there a reason for me to hold it for a little longer (so that I wouldn't have to pay for ray tracing that I am not going to use), or is there nothing in the horizon that might be an alternative?

Thank you.

Comments Sorted by:

DrLitch 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

The 2080 and 2080Ti are the best GPU's out there for that resolution (ignoring the non gaming / pro cards). I will include the Vega VII in that group. They will hit reasonable fps (often above 60fps) at highest settings, while some small tweaks down on settings can result in some very good fps improvements. Older titles and 99% of games out there will run blazing fast, well over 60fps, at highest settings. Conversely, there are very demanding titles that will run nowhere near 120fps, more like 60fps if that even - i.e. Final Fantasy XV, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus and so on. This is a sign of what is to come for PC gaming and what one will need GPU wise this generation and next. We have a new console generation being readied for launch in 2020 and console releases always gives a boost to PC gaming and graphics. The PS5 and new Xbox slated for 4K 60fps or possibly even 8K gaming according to some rumors, so we can expect new titles developed for them and ported to PC will necessarily be much more demanding.

As for Navi, nothing I read indicates they will offer performance on a par with a 2080 or 2080Ti. I would not bother. Maybe next Gen AMD will be more competitive. It is likely next year AMD will launch some fantastic high end GPU's and Nvidia will likely follow suit with their next product range. Intel will also be jumping in. Exciting times.

In response, yes, buy now, get a 2080. If you can afford a 2080Ti, get that. No sense waiting for what if's, if we did do that, we need not ever purchase hardware since the next revision or improvement is always around the corner. Buy what exists now, enjoy it, upgrade when it serves it's purpose. There is no guarantee we will stick with this hobby anyway, many folks I know jump in, play hard, and then find something else to spend their hard earned cash on a few years later. Such is life ;)

Radox-0 5 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

DrLitch hit nail on the head.

RTX2080 and 2080Ti would pair nicely. I use a 1080Ti which is broadly comparable to a 2080 paired with a similar panel to the one you mentioned and it works very well. In few games will need to make smart tweaks (in Odyssey for example turning down clouds can see a nice increase in FPS for little visual change) and so on.

I would not bother waiting for Navi and even if it was out I would likely avoid (unless it was something like 2080Ti performance for 3/4 or 1/2 the price or something) for simple reason is at that point G-Sync is a very nice value add on that panel. I would agree with the Dr's assessment, 2080 will pair well, 2080Ti even better if you have the cash.