• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Astastruerival28 1 month ago

Help I am afraid I may have bricked my gpu trying to overclock it with msi afterburner. I got the gpu up to 2010mhz and the coreclock to 130mhz and the memory clock to 1000. my fan speed is at 100 as well as the power limit. everything was fine and working great. then when I was playing gta 5 with maxed out settings I encountered a cut scene and my game locked up. I then went back onto after burner and checked and the base mhz on the left of msi afterburner was down to 1800 or so mhz and each time i would play around with the coreclock nothing would change the temp was reading at 67 degrees Celsius I dont know what I am doing and I could really use some help. please tell me I haven't completely ruined my gpu.

Comments Sorted by:

BetrayedPredator 1 point 1 month ago

You can't kill a NVidia GPU by overclocking, (as least anything recent).

You need to actually stability test and start from base again

Astastruerival28 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

how would I go about doing that? Im not quite sure how to take the gpu back to base clock again, and I don't know what kind of stability test to use. This is the first pc I have built and I am quite noobish in the realm of pc's.

dschutt84 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Restart computer and dont start afterburner will set your GPU back to default. So by not opening afterburner your GPU will be running at stock speeds. Now if you open afterburner their is a default option which is that backwards arrow looking thing. Clicking on that will set your GPU back to default settings even if you dont feel like restarting your PC. I recomened not having afterburner run with startup and creating hot keys like F1 or F2 for default/overclocking settings.

Ton of tutorials online that will help explain the correct way to use afterburner and overclock. Dont expect a lot of performance with overclocking a GPU. You tend you only get 10fps+/- and sometimes its just not worth all the effort and added noise from the fans spinning up.

So what you're saying is that if I dont have afterburner running then its not gonna be running my overclock settings? If im only gonna be getting a 10 fps jump then Im not even gonna bother overclocking the fan is so damn loud since its a single fan GPU.

dschutt84 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Yes, correct. GPUZ is a good program to see if your gpu is actually overclocked or back to default. Yeah, overclocking a GPU hasn't really been that good since NVIDIA implementing GPU Boost by default. That basically overclocks your GPU beyond anything that the manufacture specifies on the spec/box. I’m not saying that you still can’t gain performance in a overclock it’s just not that much. Some games you might see more than another but just don’t expect 20+fps at 1080p. The 10 series gpus saw more gain from a overclock than the new turing GPU’s it seems.

OK, thank you for taking the time to tell me this. I'm definitely gonna just leave at where it came stock.