add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Am I too paranoid about the life expectancy of m2 drives?

ineedpc2019

8 months ago

I'm seeking to find info and to calm my paranoia about how long a m2 drive actually lasts. I don't do video editing nor do I do commercial software. It would be used for Win10 and some gaming, probably less then a dozen games a year if that. I do use my pc every day for hours for streaming various sites. Don't know if that matters but putting it out there.

I see the life/endurance is rated as TBW and I understand what that means but I can't place it in real life like how much do I use in a month or such. So it really just boils down to, will the m2 outlive the pc if its rated at 200 or 400 TBW? Is there any actual stats/charts that map this stuff out or is it still just a "up to the gods"?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

So it really just boils down to, will the m2 outlive the pc if its rated at 200 or 400 TBW?

Looking at your uses.

It would be used for Win10 and some gaming, probably less then a dozen games a year if that.

You're probably looking at around a TB a year counting 60gb+ titles and 25% overhead for patching everything puts you at a couple hundred years per drive.

Even if you seriously ramp that up decades isn't an unrealistic lifespan for that kind of use.

Unless you are constantly writing massive files to any SSD longevity from use is pretty much not an issue even on cheaper drives, your more likely to see a component failure kill the drive then normal wear and tear failure.

Although You should probably be looking at a 1tb+ SSD looking at your uses since you would be using a ton of space.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The drive will outlive it's usefulness for you. Unless you are installing in a server or have it reading and writing 24/7 or running drive eraser software like CC Cleaner more often than you should, the drive will last longer than your CPU or Motherboard will. Of course, be smart - always keep backups. Nothing is foolproof.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Am I too paranoid about the life expectancy of m2 drives?

The short answer is yes. People see those TBW numbers and start having palpitations, concerns and opinions about those numbers. And people as customers always want bigger numbers. The one thing they never seem to concerned about is what those numbers mean in real world use and what their specific real world use entails. At 37 years old I would be shocked if I have written anywhere close to 200TB across all the devices I've ever touched in my entire life. And the reality is the vast majority of users are in the same boat.

Not to mention the endurance limits are more for warranty purposes than they are accurate real-world limits. And those endurance numbers are really derived from the worst case scenario of usage, which is quite a bit different than normal usage. Once you're aware and understand a few of these things and start to do some of the math about what it would take to reach something like 200TBW, it starts to become clear that it's really a non-issue most of the time, for most users. The only time it becomes an issue is if for specific and real technical reasons that you can realistically and rationally quantify that you need a drive with highest level of endurance possible because your use case really demands it, and that's just not the case for most people.

You probably write way less data on average per day than you think.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm sure you are right and I was thinking worse scenario. You guys put my paranoia at ease. I'll go m2 on my pc purchase. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube