add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it with it to upgrade to r9 390 from r9270x (sapphire 4gb)?

Perkinsj882

8 months ago

I've got an older HPE-570t PC with a few parts swapped in, still running the non k i7-2600. I would like your opinions on whether it's worth it to upgrade from my current 270x to the r9 390 or should I just wait a few months and build a new rig that supports the bios for newer video cards? It's been a while since I've built a system, last one I put together was powered by a FX-8120. I've been really eyeballing a ryzen 5 2600 setup but it's out of reach financially for the moment. I've been playing alot of Rust lately and it's all my little 270x can do to keep it smooth, so .. Is it with it to jump to the r9 390 or hold out a few more months and build a fresh machine?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7-2600 theoretically should be slower than a Ryzen 1200

The R9 270X should be as fast as a GTX 1050 (more or less)

The R9 390 should be almost as fast as a GTX 1060 3GB.

So let's say at best, you will have a system with a Ryzen 1200 and a GTX 1060 3GB performance wise.

Now, that CPU is almost 8 years old and games are definitely optimized for taking advantage on the architecture of the newer and more modern processors.

So the performance should be a bit lower, in relation to the more advanced processors of these days.

However, why a R9 390 instead of a newer gen. GPU?

And actually even if you buy a faster GPU, you should definitely consider to make a more appropriate build for today games. :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

R9 390 is the best my mother board can do, everything newer than that isn't compatible with legacy bios and my Mobo is not compatible with UEFI. I was going to purchase a RX580 a few months back until I realized my system wouldn't support it.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

...everything newer than that isn't compatible with legacy bios and my Mobo is not compatible with UEFI.

Yeah i wanted to ask you about that, but good that you mentioned it.

Well, then i would just wait and salvage some parts that i can re-use (Case, storage devices, fans, maybe PSU), and upgrade the rest of the build with recent parts. (motherboard, CPU, GPU and Ram)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $169.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B365 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $85.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $89.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card ??? $0.00
Case DIYPC - P48-W ATX Mid Tower Case $33.96 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $379.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 20:34 EDT-0400

OR

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $93.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card ??? $0.00
Case DIYPC - P48-W ATX Mid Tower Case $33.96 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $377.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 20:38 EDT-0400

Just decide about the GPU and if you can, you could add a SSD drive as well.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards this just needed another opinion. I will definitely salvage my psu but that'll be about it, I plan on ordering small SSD (128gb) this week dedicated to the game Rust, I've noticed it seems to run my current Seagate 3tb at 100%. I like the ryzen build you linked, I'd probably swap the ram for g.skill or patriot though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a little late as it seems you've already made up your mind. I'll add that gaming on our machine with a 390 8gb compared to the other machine with a 270x 2gb is a pretty significant improvement. My biggest gripe with my xfx 390 is that it's fans are loud when I'm gaming. I recently bought a rx 590 on sale and for the short time I had it here I was impressed with how quiet it was under load. I find it odd that other people online are saying that it is loud, to me it's not nearly as loud as my 390. Though, I RMA'd it because it had some nasty coil whine, hopefully the next one is better otherwise I'm just going return it and wait it out for the new stuff that's coming. Not sure if this was even worth me typing out, but good luck to you.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the input and if my situation changes I may go with a used 390. My 270x is 4gb by the by, it's a sapphire dual 4gb clocked at 1070mhz & 1400mhz, according to userbench a 390 would still be a substantial upgrade though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd probably swap the ram for g.skill or patriot though.

Yes and perhaps they may run at 2933MHz as well.

Because that Vulcan Ram will definitely run at 2933MHz if overclocked.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have any experience with Vulcan personally, how's the longevity of their ram?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube