add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair RMx or G3?

loganloganlo

8 months ago

What's better? I'm looking at either a Corsair RM750x/850x 2018 Version(For the white) or the EVGA 850/1000 G3(the extra power, plus the eco mode.)

It's for the Corsair 570x White Case which is going to be for overclocking with watercooling.

(I'm also making full custom sleeved cables, and not sure how much more difficult the G3's are compared to the RM's.)

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Both are excellent units, but the RMx wins out of the two.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

RMx wins 10/10 times

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

the EVGA 850/1000 G3(the extra power, plus the eco mode.)

I would not recommend using eco-mode as a justification for purchasing one of the G3 units. It's really not that great. Seasonic's Focus Plus Gold/Platinum lines have a more-refined semi-passive fan mode, for example.

Corsair's RMx lineup is a good option. There's no semi-passive fan mode, but the fan curves aren't aggressive at low loads, so you can expect them to still be relatively quiet.

As is typical with fans, QC varies, so some may be worse than others.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I had originally looked at the RMx lineup, but read a few things saying the G3's were also very good if not better. (Wanted some more input to confirm this, before changing my mind.) I'm waiting for the 3x series from AMD but, do you think I'd run into problems buying the 850, or should I wait to see if there's any new lineups?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Consumer reviews are worthless for PSUs

Zen 2 will follow the old power limits to be safe on older mobos. 850w will be perfectly fine, and by the time it’s not the CPU will not be cool-able

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Power rating recommendations depend on your entire build. An 850W unit is unnecessary for just about any single CPU/single GPU desktop configuration.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a white RMx with white cables. It's the slightly older version but still an excellent unit.

The RMx is overall a bit better unit, with its strongest point in my opinion being that it is quieter. You don't really need the extra power unless you are overclocking like... multiple Vega cards in a Threadripper build or something. If you wanted extra efficiency, the Focus Plus Platinum 750W is decently priced right now if I recall correctly.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing that much, as far video cards. I think at most I'd do a 2080ti, and possibly the new 3850x (or newer TR depending on reviews.) Then a waterloop, with some overclocked memory and CPU so that's as much power draw I'd have.

I'd get the newer version of the RMx since it's shorter, and I don't mind modding my case/cables as I need.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

RMx since its quieter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube