add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI HD 7850 2GB

suessz
  • 11 months ago

So I have had my new build running fine for a while now and the only part I did not upgrade was the video card (MSI HD 7850 2GB Twin Gray Version/Not blue). The card has been working fine for being bought back in 2012. More recently I noticed one of the fans is out. Ran MSI Afterburner during a few games to see temps (live) and playing with the fan curve to get the temps down. Seems ok but it spikes really high. I found replacement fans for 15$, added some compound to refresh this old card.

My plan is to break it down and clean it really well and replace either both or just one fan and try to get some use out of it for a few more years. I only play a handful of games when I have time and those right now include: Diablo 3, CS:Source/GO, SC2, R2R, LOL, PoE, and occasionally something like Witcher 3 etc.

For the most part my FPS is good / playable, I never over clocked this card but I think if I get the cooling back I could bump it up from 950 to 1K or a tad more.

Right now with what is on sale I would probably have to settle on an Rx 570 4 or 8gb sub $150.00

Just wondering if anyone has had to do this and/or if you recommend more (ie.. maybe some heatsinks or pads) to keep this thing chugging for a few more years.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

That card is almost 7 years old, I think you should just fix the fan and reapply paste and just keep using it until it dies. You can get RX 580 8gbs new for around $180 which would be a lot better bang for buck than the 570 for 150. I'd recommend just using your 7850 until Navi comes out and all the prices shift. Your card is still very capable for what you do.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of what I was thinking just wanted a little confirmation on not really needing to replace it just yet. Spend 25$ + my time, and keep using it, hopefully a year or two or more. This keeps the wife happy and keeps my current build cost low/in budget.

Just the other day I saw the xfx 570- 4/8's in the 139.00 range after rebate is why I mentioned them.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always get something used like a gtx 980 if you can get a deal on it and sell off the radeon hd 7850 if you feel you really need an upgrade.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Good old FineWine®

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube