add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question on PC

Jem07

8 months ago

Hey guys. I am wanting my PC to last as long as possible and was wondering if I have a few gaming sessions a day, usually spaced out from a few hours, and up to 10 hours apart, does it do any extra harm to my PC to shut it off every time im done playing or would it be better to just leave it on?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Components can (very slowly) wear down as they are having electricity running through them (due to heat for instance). So turning the PC down can help to conserve their lifetime.

On the other hand, when you turn on the PC, there is a bit of power spike that is more damaging than keeping it running for hours. Normally, this is not an issue with an averagely good power supply. (Similar to light bulbs popping when you turn on them on.)

I'd just turn off the PC when it's not needed longer than 30-60 minutes.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s kinda what I figured, I have an EVGA 750 G2 so I’m probably safe there. Temps are all clear and cool, but if I’m not planning on using it for a few hours or more I’ll just turn it off. Thanks!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, you should be all right with that power supply.

One more thing to consider is power saving and economy (i.e. considering your budget and pollution due to electricity). :)

I turn on my PC in the morning and turn it off practically at midnight, but that's because I almost always use it. If I go out shopping (1-2 hours). I turn it off though. Unless my girlfriend wants to use it as a media server and watch some movies.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I would make sure the MB does not run hot. Near every old machine I had die on me was from popped caps on the MB or the socket broke or something heat related. Sure components can go bad, but then the MB dies and its too old to find one....you give up. Just check the air circulation on the MB. Far as power I always set up the power to use the sleep and hybernate so it never gets left on full power. On the other hand I think its good to reboot sometimes so things do not build up in memory/etc.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This question, or something like it, has been argued for literally decades and I don't think there is a definitive answer. Personally, I'd leave it running (in a sleep mode if available). Given that there's no guidance from decades past, I suspect that you can do whatever you please and it will have little or no effect on longevity.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

does it do any extra harm to my PC to shut it off every time im done playing or would it be better to just leave it on?

It probably doesn't really matter. With normal power saving options it should go to sleep after 20 minutes or so when idle and that's very nearly shut down. And barring any hardware defects, bad luck, or catastrophe a PC should remain operational for quite a long time, well beyond it's life as a primary machine. It seems like you're trying to micro-optimize your behavior as a user and I'm going to say it's really not necessary. You might as well quibble over exactly which sectors on your HDD Windows is writing data to and trying to micro-manage that for an imagined benefits.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube