add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 450W PSU good enough for my build?

ryanshamuv

5 months ago

I am currently finishing up my first pc build and it was a budget build at first when i bought the power supply. Now i’ve gone slightly more expensive and i have 16gb ram, gtx 1050 (not ti), i5 8600k, and b360m d3h. Im kind of new to pc building and wanted to know if an EVGA 450bt power supply would be enough to support this.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Actually you PSU selection should be your last step and not the other way around.

The i5-8600K paired with a GTX 1050 doesn't make a lot of sense as gaming performance concerns, and the board selection isn't a fine choice either.

What's your budget for the whole build, and do you need a OS?

Basically, have you purchased the remaining parts of the build as well?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I already have Windows 10 on a hard drive. Yeah, this is my first build and i am still trying to understand the whole pc parts pairing, and i also edit videos and figured the 8600k would do me well. Any tips and/or help would be much appreciated.

edit: and i also will be doing some gaming as well. my budget was around 1,000, but im only 16 with a well paying job so ive been picking parts over the past couple months

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm, if you edit videos and alike a GTX 1050 isn't a bad choice at least for 1080p.

As the CPU concerns, the i5-8600K is a very capable processor for editing, but you need an aftermarket cooler, because the i5-8600K doesn't include any cooler.

With the above in mind the CPU will cost you at least $300.

However for less money, you can get a processor with double the threads like the Ryzen 2600X ($200) that includes a cooler as well.

And for serious editing you need as much cores as you can get.

On that matter instead of an i5-8600K+ cooler for $300, just get an Ryzen 2700X, that has more cores and threads, includes a CPU cooler an will cost you the same amount of money, so $300

I already have Windows 10 on a hard drive.

That W10 you most probably have is an OEM version, and may not work (activation will fail) on a different board.

So i wanna ask, did you activated W10 on the Gigabyte board you mentioned above?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The hard deive is from an older dell computer that my uncle had given to me for my birthday. Didnt active W10 on my gigabyte board i havent been able to use it since i dont have all the parts. Yeah, I am most likely going to sell this build after a while on craigslist considering that the research i did on the parts was not in-depth enough.

edit: Getting a corsair hydro h60 this week as well. I had known it didnt come with a cooler and i did not really want it to, because i dont think intel coolers look all that good

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The hard drive is from an older dell computer

Then the OS that comes with it, can't be re-activated on a different computer build.

So that OS that came with the Dell computer, will work as genuine only on that system, unfortunately.

Getting a corsair hydro h60 this week as well.

You could go with an good air cooler as well. Would be less noisier and more safe in the long run.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so what would you recommend for an air cooler? my cpu is overclockable but my motherboard is not. might upgrade mobo later down the road. So i just have to get W10 again when i setup?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube