• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FancySnancy 1 month ago

What would you all recommend for that budget? A hybrid system, a single TB SSD?

I would be storing games on the drive(s), (lots of them)

Comments Sorted by:

thunder-93 2 points 1 month ago

For a $120 budget, you've got enough to get an inexpensive SSD for your boot/OS drive and a solid HDD for data/games/mass storage. Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage Team - L5 LITE 3D 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $29.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $84.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-09 18:00 EST-0500

You can opt for more (you've still got $40 to spend), but that would depend on the rest of your budget rig. That $40 could potentially be "better spent" towards another component (GPU, CPU, RAM).

FancySnancy submitter 1 point 1 month ago

true, but every upgrade is around 100 bucks more, (like the RTX 2070 is 150 above the 2060, and going from the 2600x to the 2700x is 100, and going for a 1700x with liquid cooling for overclocking is around 70-80 bucks depending on your cooler)

but i'm looking more for something that'll match the budget, are there decent 1 TB SSDs out there that i should consider, my current set up is one 2 TB hard drive, and a 500GB SSD

Jeff_M 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Are you reusing any of those existing drives? If you are, the 500GB SSD is your boot drive, I would spend the $120 on a 1TB SSD, there are a few from the likes of Team and ADATA that fall within your budget. If you can spare an extra $8, the Samsung 860 Evo can be had for $128 from B&H, yes it's a generation old now, but if you wanted a very well reviewed SSD from a bigger name brand, it is an option. Team and ADATA are still decent picks though, I see them regularly recommended on budget builds.

UltraNoob123 2 points 1 month ago

1tb intel 660p is $120

FancySnancy submitter 0 points 1 month ago

and intel SSDs also suck from what I've heard, they use an outdated system that slows down dramatically once you fill it up/transfer large files (unless that's a new model that fixes said problems???)

UltraNoob123 3 points 1 month ago

they use qlc but combine it with newer tecnology and it will do just fine as long as you are not video editing or other very heavy stuff

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 1 point 1 month ago

They're still 3-4 times faster than a SATA SSD and like 20 times faster than an HDD. Even a mediocre sports car is way way better than a very nice Power Wheels...

For general computing, gaming, they're a great value... if you need optimal hardware you're going to need to spend more than $120 on storage in that case...

nope i'm planning on buying those drives, (the only drive i have that i'm willing to actually re-use is i think a 8 year old 1 TB drive, so i kinda wanna get something new just for reliability sake)

yawumpus 1 point 1 month ago

How quickly did you fill the 1TB drive? If it was "pretty quickly" then I would go straight to 3TB and above (typically the cost/TB drops steadily to 3TB or so, then flattens out). Of course, you should also look for a ~500GB SSD as well, but the price difference from 2TB to 3TB is often quite small.

If it took all 8 years (or still isn't full) I'd keep it and buy only SSDs.

considering i've managed with 500 GB for 4 years, i think 1 TB will be fine

_Roller_ 1 point 1 month ago

Just get a 1TB SSD. Use Google Express and all the promo codes they give out for first time users to get something like a 1TB MX500 for under $115.