add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help installing HDD on new computer

mikehalo
  • 72 months ago

i am making a new computer mostly out of hardware from a recently broken HP. i fell prey to the infamous m2n78-la motherboard failure. the only problem i have had with the transfer is the HDD. the HP put a lock on it i think and it has caused it to not work on other computers. the bios will read it however it is incapable of loading anything from it. other (working) computers will not recognize it in the "my computer" screen. I was able to view it for a moment on a friend's computer. It asked for admin permision, and after I clicked allow, it gave me about 10 seconds of access before it gave an error saying it could not find anything. it then dissappeared on the my computer screen. does anyone know how i can fix this?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If my memory is correct, the hard drive won't work because it is setup with your old motherboard. I think you will have to reinstall the os to get it to work with the new motherboard.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

a bios level lock has an encryption that is specific to that motherboard there will be no way to retrieve the info

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not believe this is the case. I was able to view it for a moment on a friend's computer. It asked for admin permision, and after I clicked allow, it gave me about 10 seconds of access before it gave an error saying it could not find anything. it then dissappeared on the my computer screen.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What i would do if there is room on the HDD, install fresh OS and then it should save all the files into windows.old folder in which you should be able to access it. Hope that helps.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, would this require a new lisense number? that is if i can access it to install anything...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

well if its windows 7 i know you can install it without one, that way you can test and see if you are able to access the files. then if it works and you recovered everything you should be good to go. and then you can either enter the new license number.

Or if you end up deleting some files, this program has done me wonders and recovered them: www.piriform.com/recuva

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube