add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M2 nmve enough?

dawixster

8 months ago

Hi, I have question is m2 nvme 500 enough for system, but main question do I need have 2nd storage in my system like hdd or simple ssd like 860 evo? Thank you

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

500GB will take you a good way but it depends what you plan on putting on that drive.

If you plan on having more than a few games for example, you may want to add some SATA SSD. They are cheap now and provide excellent price/speed/volume ratios.

I added an ADATA 1TB SSD recently on my system for $120CAN ... Love the flex room it gives me.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

^^^

you can get by with 500 GB, even if your playing triple A games, just know that you will have to uninstall and re-download some of your larger Triple A games from time to time, although i am wondering what your doing with a NVME drive because i would reserve their use for Photo shop or video editing.

also recommend using https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI to help compress files (it lets you still use them, just having slight longer load times, i have yet to notice them)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd throw in a WD Blue SSD.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Think you have to look at your use and budget. I have a lot of photos/video/data that even on a 5400rpm hdd it comes up fine so I bought a new 7200rpm 3tb for about $70. This also gives me room to image my 480gb Nvme for backup or image other drives, and fit all my old stuff easily. The 480 OS drive should be fine for a while, and I have a 2nd empty M.2 slot and many empty SATA.

The other issue I see is if you build a new machine you got to keep up with the times, that is why I put a Nvme in the new PC, in years SATA will be laughed at. But if you need 1tb for your games and they need to load fast the M.2 is going to work better and price is getting closer to SSD SATA at least on 1tb and less. Though I agree SSD SATA today is not like it is super slow, it works pretty well yet at ~4X the speed of HDD. So if it is a budget issue or you need more than around 1tb go SSD SATA its not bad IMO. If you need a ton of room think about HDD but its going to be slower. If you can do faster M.2 speeds it is the future and down the road you will be happier its ~3-5X faster than SATA SSD, but for games likely you will only notice if they are huge load files.

I got a fast Nvme 480 for about $90 for my OS. Why, because it is future proofing and I can enjoy the speed for years, and I rather not move my OS for a good while. I spent extra to buy time.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks lads, well basically I thought that nvme have some cons, that I must have hdd, but it seems everything is fine at the moment I'm fine with nvme if I will have some space problems I think I'll buy 2nd nvme. There is my list what I have now: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £145.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard £104.39 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £88.79 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £106.98 @ Aria PC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card £534.22 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case £77.96 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter £36.98 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Logitech - G213 PRODIGY Wired Gaming Keyboard £100.77 @ Amazon UK
Mouse Asus - ROG Gladius II Origin Wired Optical Mouse £88.05 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1284.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 20:27 GMT+0000

Ps some parts were gifts so bit messed up my built but more less it should be fine just thinking to buy ram to make it dual channel.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the only con is that hard drives are half the price for storage :D

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I always can add some more memory if I'll need.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The Nvme are the fastest drives right now pretty much, depending on what one you get. This is great for an OS and working drive, but it is cheaper to get something slower for storage where speed does not matter as much. SATA SSD are slower and cheaper, HDD are way slower and way cheaper (at least in larger sizes).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube